PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q: Ablan's Bevels

J Martin
04-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Greetings all,

I've been working through Dan Ablan's book and on pages 318-320 he says "Beveling three times is very important." Is beveling three times *really* necessary? I don't completely understand the theory behind this. What gives?

Thanks!

J

colkai
04-27-2004, 04:24 AM
Haven't got the book in front of me, but I am assuming he is referring to the avoidance of smoothing errors when you do say an rounded 'end-cap' type object. It's easy enough to see what dan is getting at and it's something a lot of newbies miss.

Here's an object to show what I mean. Load it into layout and render - notice the difference in the way it appears.

Matt
04-27-2004, 04:32 AM
objects in real life don't have infinitely sharp corners, it's one of the things that make images look computer generated.

what Dan is doing is creating small fillets (or radiusses) on the edges so they catch highlights making them look more realistic.

the three times bit is creating a few steps so it's not just a sharp bevel but and actual curve to the edge.

hope that makes sense.

Matt

Matt
04-27-2004, 04:36 AM
oh, and it helps with smoothing issues as colkai said! :)

colkai
04-27-2004, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Matt
objects in real life don't have infinitely sharp corners, it's one of the things that make images look computer generated.

Heh.. yeah that too ;)
Forgot about that - it's second nature now to look for applying micro-bevels and yet when I first got LW, (coming from Povray), I never even thought about the 'sharp-edge' syndrome.
:D

J Martin
04-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Ah! I see what's going on. Is beveling the only way to do this? I noticed that in numeric pannel there's a radius when creating a box. Is there something similar somewhere? Still learning....

Thanks for all the help!

Silkrooster
04-27-2004, 09:34 PM
To my knowledge the only other way would be to get the rounder plugin. However that plugin will be included in ver 8. So life will be much easier.
My question is how come Newtek did not include this feature sooner. Most, but not all of the other modelers had this feature for several years.

colkai
04-28-2004, 02:20 AM
My guess?
Because it's so quick to do and becomes second nature to many that it wasn't deemed important enough.

One thing I do wish LW had was fillets, for when you want to join up model sections, skin and morph are sometimes not suitable.

Long time ago I played with the beta of Rhino, lofting and fillets sure made a lot easy. If I had the cash, I'd probably run both, I don't so I chose LW and have never regretted it. :D

kurt_kober
05-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Silkrooster
To my knowledge the only other way would be to get the rounder plugin. However that plugin will be included in ver 8. So life will be much easier.

Easier--unless you don't have the scratch to upgrade to Lightwave 8. The "included" plugins are no longer sold individually. So what was once a $40 plugin is now a $495 upgrade. : P

Somewhat irritating.

Silkrooster
05-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Well I finally received ver 8 and rounder is not as good as I thought it would be. Rounder will either create a rounded edge on all sides of a poly or will create rounded corners on all sides of the poly when one poly is selected. What is missing is the ability to round one single edge of the poly. Selecting edges should be similar to the edge bevel command. I believe that the edge bevel command is closer to what I am looking for. As with that you could do a bevel, move the center edge out and do another bevel until you get a smooth radius edge. However this still takes several steps to accompish. The idea of plugins and scripts is to take repeditive tasks that are done all the time and reduce the task to a single step. So guess I already have a couple of ideas for the wish list for the next version. In the mean time anybody who knows how to write plugins may want to take on this task. First is a true rounder pluging which can select a single edge and can adjust the radius and the smoothness of the edge. Beable to do inside and outside edges (for example the inside and outside of a hollow box). Selecting more than one edge at a time would be nice as well. The second plug in which is not part of this thread (Sorry guys) is a shell plugin. Beable to select one or more faces then deleting those faces and giving the rest of the object a thickness which is set from the plugin. It should also beable to create either a beveled or rounded edge where the face use to be.
These two plugins even though they can be done manually would save a lot of valuable time.
Once again I appologize for getting off topic.
Silkrooster