PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and Advanced Forums? Poll

HowardM
03-20-2003, 05:46 PM
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=13630#post13630

CoMetX
03-21-2003, 10:59 PM
No offense, but why the hell would you want to divide the newbs and advanced people? First off, let me say, many newbies come in here to get tips from the advanced people. I come in here all the time, reading what the pro's have to say and asking questions to them. If you divide us up, who will the newbs turn to? The point of having a forum is to talk about things and get a response, whether from a 1st day newb, or a 4 year pro. Seriously, you divide the newbs from the pro's, and the LW wont be considered as a community, that we have long strived to be. Anyway, thats just my opinion.

Heimhenge
03-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Dude, I saw the same discussion rise and die many times on the Adobe Premiere/ AfterFX forums. True, some of the basic questions that could be answered by just RTFM do tend to annoy and waste bandwidth, but the really dumb questions tend to not get answered.

I'm still learning LW. Got about 40 hours into it now and am starting to feel like I can actually do some things with it. But I still read this forum every day just to pick up new ideas. I like having the pros around, and if they were split off into another forum I'd still go there to read the stuff they are talking about.

You know what would be an interesting poll to me? I'll put my own numbers in as an example ...

How did the following components contribute to your learning LW?

1. reading the manual: 30%
2. reading the forums: 30%
3. reading online tutorials: 20%
4. posting questions to forums: 9%
5. calling tech support: 1%
6. attending classes/workshops: 0%
7. pure brute-force trial and error: 10%

HowardM
03-22-2003, 08:43 PM
ok ok, let me finish this off by saying I never said to seperate the people, just the questions...
and everyone would of been able to read them, and if a pro decided to answer they still could, and you all could still read both forums...it would be easier though, if I didnt want to read 10 questions about how to make a box, I wouldnt have to because I was reading the Advanced section....then later if I felt like helping a newbie, I would hop over to the Newbie section...its was just an idea to help sift through TONS of posts!

Thanks for your responses!

...this post will self distruct Monday morning.
:)

ps. Heimhenge, good idea for a poll! go ahead and make it!

Heimhenge
03-23-2003, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I think I will ... soon as I figure out how to best ask the question to allow only a single response. Watch for it.

Epita
03-23-2003, 04:37 AM
Well i think that two seperate forums in the LW section
one for rookie questions (whats a polygon)
one for pro questions (Techno jargon...)
i think this would be a good idea

Epita

Jimzip
03-23-2003, 06:28 AM
Muhahahahah! The poll speaks volumes...
(And again, just for dramatic effect) Muhahahahahahah!

Jimzip:D

lord
03-23-2003, 07:30 AM
That's just rediculous, I'm not even sure why I'm replying to this thread (waiting for a render that's why, got time to waste)