PDA

View Full Version : tree/object autoface camera?

ttomw
04-26-2004, 02:37 PM
I'm doing landscape/building visualizations for export to VRML. I want to keep trees to single or low poly clipmaps.

What is best technique or setting in LW or export settings to make trees always face user/camera in VRML.

Maybe this is third party plugin or App?

Thanks.

Hervé
04-27-2004, 12:27 AM
www.polas.net:D

gaushell
04-29-2004, 11:41 AM
use the free Follower (chanfollow.p) in your Animate directory.

It is a motion Modifier that you add under Motion Options panel (via m for each object)

Lets you control on a per object basis what follows the camera or anything else. You can have it track heading, bank, pitch, etc. I usually set everything to none except for heading.

You can also use a null object to control several objects that need to follow the camera (can't have them too far apart though)

I use it all of the time.

ttomw
04-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Gaushell,
Thanks, this is perfect. But what am I missing?

I'm doing a test scene with one camera and one tree. The camera is the target item for the tree, but I can't figure out how to limit to heading only. Despite my efforts the tree continues to follow the camera in Pitch and Bank as well as heading.

I have all sources but heading set to none in the animation control panel for Follower. I've tried it with "item to follow" set to none or to camera. Neither setting solves it. World Coordinates, Align to Path, and After IK are all unchecked (though I have tried it with them checked, which didn't make difference).

What am I missing?

:confused:
Thanks

gaushell
04-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Look at the tabs next to x y z, etc. down the line. it defaults to x, y, z, etc

Change all of them to none except for the heading. that way it only replicates the camera heading. otherwise it "follows" every setting.

ttomw
04-29-2004, 03:38 PM
I assume you mean the Edit drop down then properties next to add modifier.

I have done that. In that panel I've set all the dropdowns for position, scale, and Pitch and Bank to "none". Heading is still set to H for its source. Multiply by is at 1.0 and Add is at 0.0.

Maybe I'm not thinking about this correctly? I want the tree to stay verticle with relation to ground plane (x,z) so if I rais camera position tree object shouldn't move at all. But in my case now with all these settings it still rotates to keep its normal pointed at camera.

Do I need to set anything on motion options for the camera as well?

Thx

ttomw
04-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Under the controllers and Limits tab of Motion Options for tree object I changed Pitch Controller drop down to Inverse kinematics from Point at Target. I still don't understand why this works...ie what is interaction or relationship between the modifier tab and the controllers and limits tab. The manual does not offer any detail on that.

Can these motion options then be exported with the LW VRML97 exporter. I will have to experiment. But if anyone has insight into these motion options interactions I would love to be enlightened.

Thanks much.