PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and Advanced Forums?

HowardM
03-20-2003, 05:25 PM
Is it possible (Chuck?! Proton?!) to setup Newbie and Advanced sections?
I hate to sound rude, but it really seems like this NEW forum is swamped with newbies asking the simplest RTFM types of questions!!
Where did the old forums vets go?! To CGtalk?! :(

...and where the heck did all these newbies appear from, the center of the earth?! Attack of the Moles! :)..no really, where were you all on the old forum?!

..anyway dont take this the wrong way, heck Im borderline newbie everyday, and I definitely dont know more than 40% of LWs powers! ...yes theres plenty of things I can learn from newbie questions, but do we really need to sift through them?

..so, after my rant, i feel a little better...but still any chance of moderation and classification of these posts?! maybe a manditory icon next to a post that is Newbie vs Advanced?...how about a list by Adv?

:)

Skonk
03-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Bad idea imo, if only "Newbies" went on the "Newbie" forum who would help them with there problems?

Newbies will always be newbies unless they get the help they need.

James.

HowardM
03-20-2003, 05:43 PM
well, i dunno, Im sure we all would visit the newbie forum to help them out, and it would be easier to scan and disregard the lame RTFM Q's!..maybe just 2 seperate Tips and Tricks for Newbies or Adv...

Adv users deserve to read Tips and Tricks that are for them, not 'how do I make a keyframe'!?

I guess if they cant do seperate forums, can they add icons in a column next to the subject that negates New or Adv or Pro?
that way we all are listed together, but its easier to sift?

Skonk
03-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Would it not just be easier to answer the newbies questions even if they are ridiculously simple?

I just think forcing newbs into a seperate forum would be a real kick in the ballz to anyone who is genuinly new to lightwave.

James..

HowardM
03-20-2003, 06:49 PM
nahhh, they know they are newbs!...they dont mind...

I dont mind answering simple Qs, as long as the user tried first or looked it up in the manual or on the web! or the Q isnt stupid like how to push the render button?!
Again, a newbie area would be great for such Q's, then an Adv for REAL Q's about hi end tricks and tips would be nice...

I guess the real reason I started this thread was because I feel like I will learn less, and I think alot of the adv and pros arent hanging out here because its not like the old forum....if this forum is consumed by newbies, no one who knows anything will come!

hrgiger
03-20-2003, 07:06 PM
If there were simply a newbies forum, who would they learn from? I enjoy helping out people who are just starting out. I just don't bother answering questions like "how do I make a box". That deserves a RTFM answer.

Kick in the ballz? Ok, I can agree with that.;)

HowardM
03-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Im not saying a totally different site, just 2 different forums in the same list...the adv users and pros would frequent the ADV section, but Im sure some medium and adv users would go to the New section to help out newbies...the point is, an Adv section for proper questions, and tips for the people who learned how to make a box years ago......

we just need to filter it out for easier reading otherwise the pros wont stay!

hrgiger
03-21-2003, 12:05 AM
Even if that were to happen Howard, it wouldn't work anyway. How do you decide who's a newbie and who's a pro? Who's going to actually want to be a newbie? I mean, just take the WIP and the Finished galleries for example, they don't work. People are constantly posting stuff in the finished gallery, they get some crit, and then they post an update.... Sounds like a WIP to me. I don't think there's really an acceptable way to decide somebody's skill level and place them in the appropriate gallery. I just think that you should consider these forums for the Lightwave community, new and old users alike.

HowardM
03-22-2003, 08:42 PM
ok ok, let me finish this off by saying I never said to seperate the people, just the questions...
and everyone would of been able to read them, and if a pro decided to answer they still could, and you all could still read both forums...it would be easier though, if I didnt want to read 10 questions about how to make a box, I wouldnt have to because I was reading the Advanced section....then later if I felt like helping a newbie, I would hop over to the Newbie section...its was just an idea to help sift through TONS of posts!

Thanks for your responses!

...this post will self distruct Monday morning.

Heimhenge
03-25-2003, 10:13 PM
OK, so how about just adding a question category like "Really Basic Stuff" or "Beginners' Q&A" or sumpin like that? Of course, that only works if the questioner knows what the definition of "basic" is. And who decides that?

Somewhere between the RTFM questions and the ADVANCED questions is a huge realm consisting of stuff that's poorly documented in the manual and lacking in tutorials.

They get scattered around in "Tips & Tricks," "LW PC," "General Discussion" and "LW Genral Support." Maybe there should be subtitles under these headings that clarify what questions go where.

hrgiger
03-25-2003, 11:06 PM
I think there should be a "questions for people who are too lazy to read the manual" forum. That way, I know not to go into that forum to answer questions.
I guess what I'm saying is, you can't seperate the beginners from the advanced users because nobody wants to think of themselves as a beginner. The first time they model something that they think is half-decent, they become an 'expert' in lightwave and will no longer participate in the newbie forum. They'll think it's below them. I just don't think it's fair to the newer people who would like to have help from people who've been there.

ted
03-25-2003, 11:19 PM
I'm 45 years old and have been in Professional Broadcast production since 1976.

I'm still a newbie!

Except for the last few weeks of overload, I probably average 1-2 hours a day scanning the forums. Most every day I find something that reminds me, I'm a newbie and I'll never stop learning.

So my vote would be to keep the new and veteran users as one big family.

I do agree that many times I'll see new questions that I've read answers to, just days before, but I'll forgive them as long as some veteran gives some new twist to the answer!:cool:

Epita
03-26-2003, 02:19 AM
Well i think that more active moderation could be good, and yeah having two QanA forums for rookies and pros would be a good idea.

Epita