PDA

View Full Version : Enterprise

sandman300
04-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Submitted for your approval... TV first season 1701

Skunk
04-26-2004, 05:57 PM
damn, that's good. Could you possibly post some detailed close-ups?? and wires too. This is good stuff.

SKUNK

Nakia
04-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Classic Star Trek. Real good work

Zarathustra
04-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Boy, old Trek is popular all of a sudden.

I don't know, the original looked more white and the paneling was so prominent.
The glows from the windows were white.
The glowing end of the Nacells had this spinning stuff gowing on, not a honeycomb procedural and brass nipples sticking out.
The space behind the deflector dish was dark.
The window pattern on the edge of the saucer seems off, too.

Where in PA are ya, btw?

sandman300
04-27-2004, 11:32 PM
this is the version of the enterprise that appeared in the pilot episode. If requested I can post the image that I used.I found it on the web at http://home.earthlink.net/~casimiro/
here are a couple of different shots. I made a few changes per advice.

I think it was lighter and the more subdued. This way it looks like its ready for its 1 billion lightyear tuneup.

Right now Ive got a couple of redneck/star treck jokes flying around my head :p

sandman300
04-27-2004, 11:36 PM
another view

sandman300
04-27-2004, 11:39 PM
I dont remember what the cell bubble looked like in this version so I made this up:p I like it.

sandman300
04-27-2004, 11:42 PM
another angle

sandman300
04-27-2004, 11:44 PM
view of the warp engines. there are a few texture flaws that I noticed but unless I actually use this fo something more than a persomal learning experience, I can live with them.

Zarathustra
04-27-2004, 11:50 PM
Well, I think what I said before hasn't changed and your link proves it. That's all I got to say.

sandman300
04-28-2004, 12:05 AM
true enough, only thing is that first the schematics call for the nipples, 2nd I couldnt figure a way to make the spinny thing that satisfied me. Then I tried that and I liked that.

Oh BTW Im in Mertztown (halfway between Allentown and Reading)

Here is the wireframe

colkai
04-28-2004, 02:56 AM
Off the top of my head (not running LW at present so can't check this).
For the spinning, how about an image of black and white stripes, blurred, mapped spherically to the end domes, use this on the luminosity channel, then apply a rotation to the image, will have to figure out if this is pitch or bank based on the model facing direction.
This should rotate the image. Changing the 'wrap' settings should give you adjustment over how many streaks there are.

I did something similar with a low-poly van to give the illusion of the wheels rotating.

adrian
04-28-2004, 02:35 PM
This is nitpicking a little, but the honeycomb (engine) texture is slightly stretched at the sides...

Good work though... how about an animation?

Adrian.

TSpyrison
04-28-2004, 03:27 PM
I think the thing that bothers me about this one, is the image "panel" map..

Its a bit to much I think..

(The original series ship didn't have panels on the outter hull..)

Im halfway through building my own 1701, when i get home Ill post some nice reference links that ive been using for ya

:)

sandman300
04-28-2004, 08:00 PM
TSpyrison, I tried texturing it the traditional way and I just seemed too bland. I found these maps and thought Id try and use them for something.

To backtrack a bit, here is a more traditional nacelle dome.

TSpyrison
04-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Ahh.. I found them..

link 1 (http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/STEnterprise/11footMiniature.htm)

blueprints (http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/wizardofflight/TOS1701.html)

link 3 (http://members.aol.com/IDICPage/enterprise.html)

TSpyrison
04-28-2004, 08:55 PM
Not trying to hijack a thread, but here is my (very early version)

Hope you dont mind :)

TSpyrison
04-28-2004, 08:56 PM
another view

TSpyrison
04-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Last one

sandman300
04-28-2004, 09:53 PM
Dont mind at all, If you want Ill share. If you dont mind me asking, what mede you want to build this ship? I built mine because I needed to show some people that I could build a model from schematics. After that I was just having fun with the textures as a break from another project.

Another way of handeling the idea... just arived from the factory. Bairly has a lightyear on its warp engines.:p Say what you will about unrealistic (dirt makes it look real), but Id rather have a shiny fantasy than a dirty reality. Am I going anywhere with this? Not really. :) If you like it great, if you dont, tell me why...always interested in critics.

Skunk
04-28-2004, 10:20 PM
wow. that's great. The detail is awesome. And thanks for the close-up shots. The're great. I agree with Adrian, though. Let's see an animation. That would be cool!!!
I envy you...

SKUNK

P.S. colkai, is that Tenguar on you Avatar??, if it is, it's just gibberish.

sandman300
04-28-2004, 11:33 PM
I was looking at the posts and I realized I didnt show the shuttle bay doors. It took me long enough to build them...all one continuous shape (tip of reflector dish to the shuttle doors):)

colkai
04-29-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Skunk
colkai, is that Tenguar on you Avatar??, if it is, it's just gibberish.

Heh - no it's not -it says 'colkai' - unsurprisingly! ;)

TSpyrison
04-29-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by sandman300
Dont mind at all, If you want Ill share. If you dont mind me asking, what mede you want to build this ship? I built mine because I needed to show some people that I could build a model from schematics. After that I was just having fun with the textures as a break from another project.

Another way of handeling the idea... just arived from the factory. Bairly has a lightyear on its warp engines.:p Say what you will about unrealistic (dirt makes it look real), but Id rather have a shiny fantasy than a dirty reality. Am I going anywhere with this? Not really. :) If you like it great, if you dont, tell me why...always interested in critics.

Well, I started mine for a couple reasons..

1: I had built an original Enterprise back in 95 (I think), with Lightwave 4 on my video toaster. I had always been rather proud of that version, but the actual file is lost somewhere.. who knows where.
(I wanted it back :) )

2: I wanted to see how physically accurate I could get to the original 11 foot model they used for the series

3: Lets face it, I'm a geek.

Mine is nowhere near finished though, still has lots of work and detail to put in it

(I wonder how hard it would be to build the "inside" from blueprints...)

And there is nothing wrong with "unrealistic" if thats what you like. I know there are people who take starship models and start mix and matching all sorts of different parts to make up new designs..

And as far as shiny, you've seen the Naboo ships right?

:)

adrian
04-29-2004, 06:58 PM
I like the shuttle doors - how did you do them? The shiny texture looks cool as well, even though that's not how the Enterprise looked (as you rightly pointed out). But hey, it's your version and you can do whatever you like with it!

I still want to see an animation - have it blow up a Klingon bird of prey or something!

Talking of Klingon ships, I don't think I've seen one posted here - has anyone modelled one at all?

Adrian.

cathuria
04-30-2004, 07:31 AM
Years ago I modeled the TOS Enterprise and several of the Franz Josef designs -- of course, I had to do the Klingon battlecruiser as it's always been my single favorite spacecraft design.
The best of my old Star Trek images are in the LCARSCOM gallery...
LCARS 3D Gallery (http://www.lcarscom.net/3-D1.htm)
My stuff is second section down, "Images by Cathurian RHQ" -- that's my 'hobby work' identity.

TSpyrison
04-30-2004, 07:50 AM
Doesn't every 3D person want to do their favorite sci-fi show ship? :)

sandman300
04-30-2004, 07:28 PM
adrian,
here is the basic technique that I use to make the doors. Im sure that this could be applied to other shapes.
(numbers corospond to the pic)

1. make a primitive sphere.make sure it has an even mumber of sides(important later).

2. select every othe radial line of points (except the center).

3. Press +F8 to activate action:selection and y to rotate the points.

4. switch to polly mode and select the larger rows (in this I left out the center most circle)

5. press F (smooth shift) and move pointer over selection and right click without moving mouse. If done right it shouldnt look any different. then before you do anything else press H and scale out to desired size.

6. deselect the pollys and press tab. then your done. The shuttle doors were made this wat and later subdivided.

Hope this helps.:)
Sorry pic so big...:o looked smaller on my computer.