PDA

View Full Version : Other NAB News

Jim Capillo
04-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Old friend Charlie White is at it again. Sort of a negative Newtek mention (Though I guess any mention is better than none....) about their NAB showing. Says he was all pumped up to see the VT[4] but alas, there was none to be found when he arrived.

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=25212

Well, read it for yourself. He seems like just another guy stuck on HD.

JReble
04-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Hey Jim, sorry I didn't get to see you at NAB this year. I was lookin for ya but I hear you didn't make it.

I don't know much about this Charlie White, but I can say for sure that I didn't see things the same way he did. As for the Newtek stuff, all he said was what he didn't see. I got no real info of any sort from his article on that.

What was laughable though was the rosey write up on Serious Magic. I made sure to find their booth this year and have a good look. While I'm not gonna discount their software products, I've got to tell you that theirs was one of the least impressive booths at the show. I was almost sorry I did all the walking to find it. On the visual communicator side their sound system was really messed up, and the camera & lights weren't demonstrating a decent key. They kept apologizing for the audio distortion which only raised more attention to it. It was just a speaker connected to a computer audio out for Jeminy sakes. Then the Ultra side of the booth was pretty hap-hazard while I was there. They kept bouncing around and talking over each other constantly. And they had a video with audio running right next to their live demos which was totally distracting. I don't care for or expect a smooth polished sales pitch, but I would expect some basic technical standards to be met at one of these demos, especially at NAB. I walked away with a lesser opinion of them than before I saw their booth. Unfortunate.

wvp
04-27-2004, 07:13 AM
Charlie's article mentions Newtek's desire to abandon competing with the likes of Avid, Apple & Adobe. Instead focusing on live switching. This would appear to be a true statement if you look at Newtek's promotion of VT[3] at NAB as well as the recent push into Church markets, etc.
I for one do not have plans to go HD soon as the cost and demand does not justify it yet. Still, it would be nice to see VT heading that way sooner than later.
Perhaps it is best for Newtek not to try to compete with the 3 "A's" - generally it will be a losing battle with the amount of money they are able to sink into their products.

I did not see the Serious Magic booth, but from what Charlie said I find it interesting that he is so high on this product:

"where the Magicians showed me the DV Rack ($495, summer release)"
"Overall, it's a breakthrough product, which Serious Magic (and former NewTekian) President and CEO Mark Randall tells me will also be HDV ready very soon."
"...the documentation will fully explain scopes and how they're used,..."

One should reserve such high praise on a product until it is actually produced for sale.

SBowie
04-27-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by wvp
One should reserve such high praise on a product until it is actually produced for sale. You're not going to tell me you have some issue with an 'impartial review based on a glossy brochure' (accompanied by a significant ad-space commitment) are you? ;)

We'll have to stop putting any credence in *most* of what is printed in trade periodicals if you're going to apply that high standard!

videoguy
04-27-2004, 09:12 AM
i think our friend charlie white needs a flogging. if he would really sit down with a vt3 for a day or two and edit on it and acutally give it a chance he would fall in love with it. especailly if he took a look at the community. maybe next year we need to invite some press to the toast party

ted
04-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Great idea Videoguy!
I wish they could have seen the excitement at the party, and written about the communities love for the company and visa verse.

Jim Capillo
04-27-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by JReble
Hey Jim, sorry I didn't get to see you at NAB this year. I was lookin for ya but I hear you didn't make it.

Yeah...... the gods of scheduling are definitely going to take a few days off next year at NAB time. Probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway - I ended up with bronchitis and am just getting rid of it now. :(

I was watching on the stream and enjoyed seeing the faces I know, and got to put a few new names to faces when Newtek was giving out the doorprizes. The internet is funny that way..... knowing all you guys for so many years but never having actually met. :p

Next year for sure !

SBowie
04-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Jim Capillo

I was watching on the stream and enjoyed seeing the faces I know, and got to put a few new names to faces when Newtek was giving out the doorprizes. OK, that whole clip of me acting like a complete jackass while running up to receive my DJ VideoTraxx prize (thanks, DJ!) was done in post (normally I am only half that spastic.)

JReble
04-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Wait a minute.....the door prize giveaways were being streamed on the web? Why didn't anybody tell me?!! Now my paroll officer will be after me for crossing state lines! :(

Lightwolf
04-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Well, let me jump in here ;)
While I'm not much of a fan of Mr. Whites columns, in this case I actually had to agree with him (to an extent).
While I have a VT[2], none of the features really made me jump up to VT[3] (then again, I still have an edit 6 that I love).
Currently I'm thinking about our next gen system, and while HD is probably not feasible this year, it will be next year or so. Even in the corporate/event market demand is rising, even over here in Europe where there aren't any HD broadcasts (well, they're starting), HD is big.
So, my next gen system should at least offer me a vision of an upgrade in the future. So far, the system I like the best in that respect seems to be the Liquid stuff, because it seems to cover just about anything (and I trust that German engineering ;) ).
Matrox has too much of a bad track record for me, but the G5s do look quite promising, especially looking at the relatively cheap 10bit SDI boards on the other side of the fence.
I also (like Mr. White) think that NT caters a completely different market. I don't shot, I don't produce. I provide the highest end quality editing (...that we and our customers can afford) paired with VFX. I don't think the VT[4] will be for me either...

Too bad actually, since I quite like the idea behind the system, and the tech rocks, but without support for standards (AAF, OMF, Quicktime etc...), rock solid digital i/o (at 10bit preferably), software rendered, but highest quality effects (-> colour correction for example), decent audio... well, you get the message ;)

Sorry for the rant, I guess I'm just trying to point out that the VT isn't the "do everything" solution for everyone.

Cheers,
Mike

wvp
04-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by SBowie
OK, that whole clip of me acting like a complete jackass while running up to receive my DJ VideoTraxx prize (thanks, DJ!) was done in post (normally I am only half that spastic.)
Um, Steve-o I was there. Sooo many things I could say at this point... 'nuff said :)

pnelson
04-27-2004, 07:35 PM
NewTek has the most amazing and loyal user base in the world. We donít look at owners of our products as customers but more as family members, some would say cult members, but weíll leave that for later discussion.

Companies always feel that they MUST show something at NABÖ. anything! Even if the timetable doesnít fit into the overall plan of what is best for that company or a particular products development cycle. For the first time in many years, NewTek showed restraint in how we approached NAB. There is technology that we chose not to publicly show, announce or preview at NAB because we didnít feel that the time was right. Anyone that knows NewTek, knows that our development team is hard at work to make the next killer product, upgrade or release of VT[3] and LightWave. This has not changed. Our authorized resellers received a ďtop secretĒ demo of new features and technologies that they found very exciting and left our reseller meeting happy with the direction that NewTek is going. As loyal NewTek customers, Iím sure that you will be just as excited as they were, when the time is right for NewTek to make an announcement. BTW: Donít try to pry it out of them.. All are under NDA! ;->

One thing that IS changing is the way that NewTek will market our products. In the past, we have positioned the VT[3] as everything for everyone and we feel that this has not been the most effective positioning for the product. There is always a certain feature set that appeals to a specific market. The needs of a dedicated video editor are different from someone doing live production, and different still from someone primarily doing motion graphics. We realize there is overlap between all of those tasks, but the overall market is looking for more target-specific messages. You should rest assured that we're continuing to develop innovative technology to serve all our customers, and when it's ready to ship, you'll be the first to know about it.

Iím excited to be back at NewTek because Iím excited about where NewTek is going in both the short and long term! NewTek has been and always will be the company that SETS the price/performance standard in the television, video and computer graphics industries.

I would love to hear feedback, questions or criticism about this or any other subject, please donít hesitate to drop me an email or give me a call.

Could you please pass the Kool-Aide? ;->

Philip Nelson
Senior Director - Video Marketing
NewTek, Inc.
5131 Beckwith Blvd.
San Antonio, TX 78249
(210)370-8266 phone
(210)370-8001 fax
[email protected]

videoguy
04-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the info, Phil. Its glad to see you back in the fold. We are all currently very excited to see what you guys have for us!! Did newtek get their NAB & Siggraph dates messed up?... Just playin

ACross
04-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Guys,

I just wanted to add my development voice to Philip's message. We decided that we do not want to repeat the VT[2] launch plans where we announced things long before they are ready to ship. We are working on products that are no less exciting or important to the company and users, we are still as hard at work on the development side as we have always been. Not only have we kept up the steady pace of VT[3] upgrades but have more cool products in the works than any time that I can remember while working here. (On top of that, LW8 upgrades are now shipping out to customers!)

For me, this is an exciting time, and the fact that Philip decided to come back to NewTek should emphasize that even more.

As is ALWAYS the case, if anyone has any questions, comments, criticisms or flames, please do not hesitate to email me. I try my best to respond to any and all emails except spam ;)

Andrew

ps. NewTek have always been a company that is much more than what the magazines write about us ;) After all, what other companies thank "the little green people" for their contribution to our alien technology !

wvp
04-28-2004, 05:33 PM
I would like to thank Andrew & Philip for commenting.
I for one feel your comments (and those of others at Newtek) go a long way on this form. I think any thread that expresses concerns about your product or users that are having trouble (that is not getting resolved) should get a response from the company. I know this is not the norm in the buisness world, but it does (and has) gone a long way with Newtek users. Every system out there has its problems and quirks. As long as they are not huge issues how a company deals with them is what is most important.

With respect to the editing system, hopefully you are close in providing solutions for HD editing, better performance with compressed files (eg dv & mp3), inclusion of filters (color correction, strobe, film, etc), and animated titles/graphics. All of these are not necessarily top on my list but are what the competition is offering. While I know some things are available with 3rd party products, competitors include these with theirs. Perhaps a compromise would be to license some of this from 3rd party - like a couple of Bob's plugins & a couple of Eric's virtual sets, etc.

Anyway - keep up the good work!!

kleima
05-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Well, that sounds encouraging, (mostly...). I am not sure I am entirely comfortable with what Philip said about "no longer trying to be everything to everyone." While I can sympathize, and perhaps its not feasible to do that, still, this has been the beauty and strength of Newtek's products. They did give all the power in one package at one reasonable price. They didn't carve their products into five or ten modules that you had to buy to have full functionality! They didn't take their top end products and hobble them into five or six sub-versions before you could afford the bottom version which had no features that were of any use to you!
I don't know of any other software company in the world that does that! That's one thing that makes them great! Newtek, I hope you don't start trying to do things like everybody else, because even if you still have great products, something will have been lost.
Would I buy I separate package - VT[4]HD? Probably.
Could Newtek blow everybody away, and just throw HD capability into the base software (with perhaps a card upgrade) along PAL, waveform monitor/vector scope, AURA, Lightwave VT, storyboard, and everything else that they could sell as separate packages? Absolutely!
Of course, I want Newtek to succeed, but please don't start chopping, carving, layering, and target marketizing everything. I believe that a lot of your customers, like me, are one man shops who may not use ALL your power tools every day, but do benefit greatly from having a "studio in a box!"
And, please, Newtek, don't make me edit HD on Vegas - I mean, I like Vegas, and all, but.....
(We will probably be getting one of JVC new 3-chip HD cameras, when they are available - if they are as reasonably priced as JVC is claiming. BTW, JVC is another company that likes to throw all the power and quality and bells and whistles into one reasonable price instead of hobbling the lower priced models, like other competing companies.)
Thanks for listening to my concerns!

And, I am VERY excited about all the cool new things you say are upcoming! I didn't doubt that you were hard at work!

Paul Lara
05-03-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by kleima
Of course, I want Newtek to succeed, but please don't start chopping, carving, layering, and target marketizing everything.

We aren't.

JReble
05-03-2004, 07:08 AM
On a related note; What's DV Warehouse advertising in their ad on page 69 of the April edition of Post? They have a center section of their full page ad entirely devoted to Newtek and one item listed is a VT3 High Definition Integrated production suite. (Bundled with Eyeon DF-4)

Is that just creative advertising in action again?

kleima
05-03-2004, 10:00 AM
That's good to hear, Paul! Sorry if I misunderstood Philips comments.

kleima
05-03-2004, 10:03 AM
JReble,

DF can do high definition compositing and Lightwave can render high def, and I think VT has can let you preview your stuff through it frame buffer support for DF, but it doesn't mean you can edit HD in VT yet.

JReble
05-03-2004, 02:04 PM
That's what I figure, but it doesn't help when dealers are trying to characterize it as something it ain't. At least not yet.

eon5
05-12-2004, 07:49 AM
the image size output in the VT board... is a software or hardware restriction ?

ACross
05-12-2004, 09:06 AM
> the image size output in the VT board... is a software or hardware restriction ?

The VT card has NTSC outputs. As you are, I am sure, aware NTSC has a strictly defined resolution and bandwidth (it's an analog signal.) As such, you cannot simply start sending HD down an NTSC connection. Even if you did (by breaking the standards) it would not do anything since no output device would accept it. In essence, the restriction is a specification issue.

A.

eon5
05-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by wvp
Charlie's article mentions Newtek's desire to abandon competing with the likes of Avid, Apple & Adobe. Instead focusing on live switching.

but... there isnt to much HDTV switchers !

whaaattt a paradox ;)