PDA

View Full Version : Need to convert .max to .lwo. Help!

cl1ff
04-26-2004, 11:07 AM
I need to convert a 3D Studio Max file into a format I can use with Lightwave. I have never before had the occasion or need to use a max file in Lightwave. I have a client who got the max file from the airforce, and I don't know if he can get them to convert it into a usable format like .3ds.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks
Cliff

bloontz
04-26-2004, 11:21 AM
.max isn't a public format, you have to have Max to convert it. Even with conversion utilities like Deep Exploration you will need to have Max installed to convert it.

simonbrewer
04-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Well, Max is a closed file format, so you are going to have to ask your client to save the Max scene out as a 3ds file, which is easy to do from the Export menu option in Max. Modeler will open a 3ds file with no problems, and its just a matter or re-assigning any texture maps to the right surfaces. UVs are converted too!

Simon

mkiii
04-26-2004, 11:24 AM
You are probably going to be out of luck then, unless you want to spend out for a copy of Max, since conversion apps like Deep Exploration still require an installed Max license to do the conversion.

Unless of course, you can find a kind soul with a copy of Max - And a copy of LW to convert it for you.

So drop me a line & I'll see what I can do for you.

Deadlyforce
04-26-2004, 04:34 PM
You should try the free Kaydara fbx plugins.

http://www.kaydara.com

mkiii
04-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Well, I offered to do it. :confused:

tektonik
04-26-2004, 07:30 PM
the kaydara plug-in (free) is the best way to go

it keeps the surface names intact / the uv / the xyz etc...

so the client should install the fbx plug-in on max and tou on lightwave...

kuik2c
04-26-2004, 09:46 PM
I also face the same problem to convert 3dmax file and normaly I used 3d studio VIZ to convert it into 3ds format b4 import into lightwave.

Thanks Deadlyforce & tektonik

cl1ff
04-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone, that's about what I thought I would have to do. I have not heard back from the client yet.

Mkiii, sorry, I didn't realize I was still logged onto the board, and I did not see your message. If you could help me out I would appreciate it enormously. I'll drop you a message.

Thanks