PDA

View Full Version : Have the uvmapping problems been fixed in LW8

hairy_llama
04-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Do you still have to unweld and weld points all the time?
Has the distortion of uvs on subD objects been fixed?

JDaniel
04-26-2004, 10:41 AM
If Newtek didn't list it in the feature list, I doubt it. If they ever do I'm sure there would be a big announcement or something.
Hop on the work around train w/ Jin and us! ;)

ericsmith
04-26-2004, 11:01 AM
As far as not having to unweld goes, UV edit pro is the answer. The other really important aspect of UVEP that I really like is that you can snap points. So you could start with an atlas map, and then stitch together all the parts. With LWs uv tools, you can't snap points together in UV space. You can only drag them as close together as you can see in the viewport.

There's been some threads about UV edit pro freaking out when it sends maps back to modeler, but I have never experienced any problems. One of the issues seemed to be that your model could get screwed up if you went into UV edit pro when geometry was hidden. That's pretty easy to work around.

Overall, I personally think that UV edit pro is a great tool for editing UVs.

Eric

jaeckel
04-26-2004, 11:12 AM
If you want to snap uv points, use the snap tool. It works in UVViewport like in the xy plane.

hairy_llama
04-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Yep, as jaeckel said just use the snap tool :)

ericsmith
04-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Wow. The snap tool is one of those little things that just slipped right under my radar. I never knew it was there.

Eric

WizCraker
04-26-2004, 12:51 PM
If they fix it it will most likely be undocumented.

JeF
04-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by WizCraker
If they fix it it will most likely be undocumented.

I'm not sure about that (speaking about subd's distortion).

This is a MAJOR improvement if they find someway to attenuate it and i'm sure we will know as soon as they finish working on it. So many users are waiting for this.

:D

jin choung
04-26-2004, 09:20 PM
in the meantime, there is jackyd's very own (and first) method to defeat the uv distortion problem at his website (and many places around these parts) and

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?threadid=21775&referrerid=726

just wrote this before i got here so for your consideration... again.

in lw8, you would use UVEDITPRO instead of deepuvs... if you use the regular lw uv editing, the unweld/weld would mess up your point order and make matamate impossible.

jin