PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 3d 8 Lighting by Nicholas Boughen

art
04-26-2004, 10:23 AM
I just noticed that the "Lightwave 3d 8 Lighting" book has been published. I've been wondering if there is any new content in it that would justify the purchase. I already own the "Lightwave 3d 7.5 Lighting" by the same author.

firstsingle
04-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Hey art. I have LW Lighting 8. Didn't purchase the previous. A good way to find out is to go to Amazon's site and check out the table of contents.

art
04-26-2004, 12:04 PM
That is where I spotted the book in the first place but I did not think about comparing TOCs. Good idea :)
I also see more reviews now (on amazon) maybe they'll tell me more. Thanks for the TOC suggestion.

Edit:

Sadly, there is no TOC on amazon yet. And from (2) reviews it does not seem like it is much different from 7.5 book.
However, it is possible to see the table of content of the 7.5 book. If anyone who has the version 8 book would find some time to compare with v7.5 I would be very thankful.
I'll try wordware's website too.

WizCraker
04-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Thats the problem with books on lighting in a specific program. Each iteration repeats what has already been written. It is almost just a scheme to get the customer to shell out the cash. You would be better off reading a book on Lighting in the real world.

art
04-26-2004, 12:46 PM
... and as far as I know (from this forum and lw[8] demo movies) there is not much/any update for the lighting engine in lw[8]

That's why im suspicious about the new book on lighting.

FONGOOL
04-27-2004, 08:00 PM
I haven't seen the earlier version, but judging by the very few direct references to [8], you can probably skip it.

akota
04-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi Art,

I bought the 7.5 book a few months ago, then preordered the 8 book. When I received it I was bummed that it was pretty much the same thing with a new cover an some new pictures. Even most of the screen grabs were not from 8, but from previous versions. Fortunately, I hadn't opened the cd in the 7.5 book so I took it to B&N and exchanged it for something else and kept the 8 book. If you already own the 7.5 book I wouldn't recommend buying the 8 book. If someone doesn't have either, definitely go with the 8 book. It's cheaper and does have a little bit more new stuff.

Jason

art
04-28-2004, 09:42 AM
Akota,

Thanks for informing me and confirming my doubts.

akota
04-28-2004, 09:52 AM
NP. I feel bad for the author that I'm giving a bad review, but I also felt a little slighted when I received the 8 book. The fact that I could exchange the previous book at B&N, and that I got the pre-order discount makes me feel better, but if you are going to be stuck with the first book, which I think was just under $70, and then shell out, what, $60 more? for the 8 book, I thought you would appreciate an honest opinion.

Don't get me wrong. Either one is an excellent LW resource and I highly recommend adding at least one of them to your library! Just don't pay twice for the same thing :D

Jason

FONGOOL
04-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Yeah, it's definitely a terrific book, I have no complaints at all except for the price.

I am glad I got a "like new" copy from one of Amazon's partner sellers for $28 though. I just can't imagine paying full retail anymore...

WCameron
04-28-2004, 04:23 PM
wonder if Essential Lightwave 8 will be the same.... or Lightwave
8 character animating...

- Will.