PDA

View Full Version : LW8 Dynamics Test #3 - FXHardLink Chainmail

HowardM
04-25-2004, 02:29 PM
2 meg QT HERE (http://www.3dink.com/newchain8.mov)
:p
FX HardLink is VERY cool!
You may have seen this chainmail made with 7.5c using Motion Designer, (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101263&perpage=20&pagenumber=1) but Dynamics are even better!

To begin with, you dont need a lousy seperate cage object anymore! :p nor do you need to futz with a saved .mdd file!
You can now calculate the cage object and the final in realtime!
Whats even better is now with HardLink, the cage will basically move the obj, instead of deform it....meaning the links in the new chainmail stay solid! (this is not using HardFX which is the Hard Body sim, so yes some chains intersect, but do not become wet noodles!)
If you look closely at the 7.5c sim, the links bend and deform like cloth.
The simulations for Cloth, Soft and Hard are much faster and easier to setup than MD2000!
Great news for you guys, :( bad for guys like me who hacked the hell outta MD and were considered 'gurus'! ;)

wacom
04-25-2004, 02:47 PM
I can't wait to see how you hack the new dynamics though Howard! Keep hack'n away!

Ztreem
04-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Looking good!!! I can´t wait to play with those dynamics. :D

Wade
04-25-2004, 03:29 PM
:eek:

kml12
04-25-2004, 04:01 PM
That looks great, I can't wait for my package...

Meshbuilder
04-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Cool.. Can you show us a picture of the lowres object you used to calculate the dynamics?

hrgiger
04-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Howard, that totally rocks. I would like to see the setup for that too...

HowardM
04-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Meshbuilder
Cool.. Can you show us a picture of the lowres object you used to calculate the dynamics?

Better yet - If you download the 7.5c scene from the other post (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101263&perpage=20&pagenumber=1) listed above, you can see how to do this now in 7.5c. Its just a little faster and easier now with 8!

Basically you calculate a low res cage object, save out the motion, and reapply it to the highres object.
So youre not really doing a calculation on all of the links, but only proxy vertices!

hazmat777
04-25-2004, 04:31 PM
Right on!

HowardM
04-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Here is another test interacting with an object! (http://www.3dink.com/newchain8.2.mov)

Zach
04-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Fantastic! I haven't seen a simulation like that in any package I don't think!

DigiLusionist
04-25-2004, 11:12 PM
All I can say after seeing that is: holy crap!

Exper
04-26-2004, 04:27 AM
Great test... very appreciated! :D

Emmanuel
04-26-2004, 06:29 AM
Hi,

yeah, that looks fascinating, maybe I was a little premature with my bitching and whining :)

Dodgy
04-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Tch, they're making it all far too easy :)

policarpo
04-26-2004, 10:32 AM
that is friggin' awesome Howard!

Keep those experiments coming!!!:D

lede
04-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Nice demo there! It looks like your having way too much fun with LW8!

-Lee

wacom
04-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Now if we can just get you to figure out what LWaddict did to get secondary reactions we'll be rolling!

WizCraker
04-26-2004, 01:09 PM
He could of just been puffing smoke as we still have not seen any screens.

lwaddict
04-27-2004, 07:24 AM
He could be...
but he isn't.

Like I said,
I'm working really hard (making money guys)
on several simulations for this biotech company
and it's taking up a lot of my time.

I still haven't even had time to play with the soft body
dynamics yet or the hardlinking that Howard's rocking
the house with yet.

But...
secondary's are possible.

Quickly now, I have to get back to work...
the trick appeared to have been all about setting up
gravity (try cranking it up if necessary) and then adding
smaller collision objects in just the right places, so things
don't just fall straight down along the Y axis. Add a kick/bouce/roll to these object, or just tilt them a little and BAM!
Secondary collisions.

This is all done with Hard Body Dynamics and a couple/few Collision objects.

Howard...we loved the Hardlink demo bro!
Keep it up.

HowardM
04-27-2004, 08:37 AM
Thanks,

So basically, you didnt do it, because youre using other collisions, manually placed or animated to continue the movement.
:(
I really hope Ino can develop the self collision part of FXlink soon!

Exper
04-27-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by HowardM
I really hope Ino can develop the self collision part of FXlink soon! Howard...
ask it directly sending a message to [email protected]

:D

lwaddict
04-27-2004, 12:22 PM
I only used additional collision objects to get things to move more naturally...

example: the bricks would fall straight down along their y-axis and restack at the bottom.

solution: a couple of very small collision objects just floating above what would be the lower pile of bricks, aided nicely in getting things to move around when they all hit bottom.

You were looking for a quick buttom to push then yah?

HowardM
04-27-2004, 12:40 PM
no, no push of the button! ;)
i just dont want to have to set 1000s of little collisions everywhere when I want a building crumbling.
it would be nice to have real self collision not just box/sphere with no real control besides bounce....
so lets see an avi or even a sample scene...this is a community not an Arena! ;)

lwaddict
04-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Ok...
played around with it a little more.

Self Interaction, Gravity, and whatnot are the key...
of course, I'm using bricks (which lend themselves to
the "box" boundaries available.

There IS a weird "jitter" thing going on at the start, but
the collision and collapse go as planned. Would love to knock
out the "jitter" though.

Still, if I were "blowing up" a building...
I'd go with more control over the scene with the addition of some collision objects.
I haven't really seen anything "explode" objects to my satisfaction yet and I've tried plenty of plug-ins and alternative 3d packages.

Here's a down and dirty shot with a stack of bricks collapsing into each other after an impact, I don't have much space online currently, so this will have to do.

?Down and Dirty Test (http://s90222223.onlinehome.us/collision.avi)

Signed,
Gladiator

HowardM
04-27-2004, 02:31 PM
cool, thanks!
not bad, ya the jitter...hmmm..have you tried StopByStabilizer?
and it wont work if you try a broken jagged model instead of bricks...at least self collision wont work correctly....or I still cant get it to work if it does...would love to know how?

are those all one layer?

Gladiator....lol :)

winged-cat
04-27-2004, 05:18 PM
why do you guys get to have all the fun....;) Seriously tho, great examples, both of you.

Howard, how was the computational time on the chain mail, fairly quick? Just thinking how insane it would be to do an entire chain-shirt.

Was never too happy with MD, occasionally got decent results, but never could figure out 'consistant'. As soon as I get my copy of 8 in the mail I'll be trying my hand at some sims too...

lwaddict
04-28-2004, 07:03 AM
I'll be working with a shattering window for my independant feature, side thing, and post the results...no perfectly square objects there.

That jittering wouldn't really cease even with the StopByStabilizer thing on...I think it's due to the instant reaction between the bricks.

And why, oh why is there only "bounce" to work with, really. The other settings don't do what I need done.

Yes Howard, those bricks are all on one layer...I'll be messing with some more settings on that test later, next will be combinations of Hard Dynamics, Cloth (using some FIX tricks), and SoftBody Dynamics all in the same pop.

Hang in there.

Hervé
06-19-2004, 06:23 AM
Hello,

I am using the hardlink (monkeys ref) to do a mobile, and everything runs so smooth except the mobile parts cannot interact each others (some of them are crossing other ones during animation)

I tried to add collision but as far as the hardlinl is ON it does not work.... is there a trick to do it.... imagine the little blue monkeys would also collide each others....

I guess it is maybe not possible... but I ask... or maybe another method..?

Thanks, Hervé