PDA

View Full Version : Improved shadows/lighting/ambient occlusion

Emmanuel
04-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Hi,

I am currently working on a specific lighting setup,
a buddy of mine mailed me this picture out of 3ds Max.
What I would need would be enhanced lighting/shadowing abilities, specifically I would like to:

1)Add gradients to lights
2)Be able to set a shadow colour and a light colour and make a transition between them (see the nice red gradient between the hotspot and the soft edge of the shadow in the image)
3)Be able to exclude surfaces/objects from lights/ambient light (currently I can't exclude an object from ambient light)

Somehow, the Max image looks more saturated and vibrant than what i was able to achieve with a very similiar setup in LightWave (I know it looks simple).

Thanks.

ingo
04-25-2004, 01:50 PM
1. Gradients, what for ? Its available for volumetrics if you mean that.

2. Should work in LW.

3. Forget ambient light. Use restricted point lights if you need additional lighting for the athmosphere.

Just my two cents

Emmanuel
04-25-2004, 02:19 PM
1.Well, for what I said: certain surface effects can not be achieved through gradients on a surface basis, beeing able to determine how the colour changes on a surface depending on the soft shadow would be nice.A gradient function for the shadow would be nice, too, and some control of how the soft shadow blends into the light colour on a surface and vice versa.
Basically, tools that would make a fake radiosity setup easier.

3.Yeah, I am not going to forget it, cause it has its uses for me :)
Restricted point lights have one problem: hot spot.
Which leads back to 1, if I could control the heat of the hotspot,
I could still use these pointlights and work my way around much easier.

ATM, LW offers not nearly the light control that other tools have despite its *LIGHT*wave...

ingo
04-26-2004, 01:24 AM
Well you can controll the hotspot with the attenuation settings, and i agree that i like to have a manual gradient here and not only the three fixed settings (and in the fog settings too).

Regarding the terrible lit picture, the red gradient between the hotspot and the shadow is because of the wood texture, otherwise it has to be on the yellow and pink thingies too. And the shadow under the teapot is totally strange, the closer it gets to the object the lighter it gets. And i dont wanna talk about getting a nearly square shadow from a round object.

LightWave, i always thought it was light, the adverb :D