PDA

View Full Version : Raytrace Shadow Problem_Help

mamurphy
04-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Hope you guys can help me out:

I have an indoor environment with 12 spotlights arrayed in a circle pointing straight up on the outer wall of a circular room. There is one volumetric spotlight pointing straight down from the center.

The surfaces have varying degrees of reflectivity, specularity and color based on incidence angles from the camera.

When I render a frame with raytrace reflections and WITHOUT raytrace shadows it looks good, however, when I turn raytrace shadows ON, it takes about 5x longer to render and renders totally black

Any ideas why? I sure would like to have my shadows being cast. Thanks for any help or ideas.

Here's a sample frame without the shadows:

pixelinfected
04-25-2004, 03:46 PM
there are a lot of bug with many lights in scene, where all use ray trace shadow.
check that :
1) no obj are in front of light
2) disable ones at time the shadow of all light and see if a single raytrace shadow cause problems or is a cumulation problem.
3) check with shadow map (often are better solution)
4) 5 times of render is possible. try to setup shadow on some light but not for all.
5) try to change the light type, and see if problem is with all kind of light

recently i work with a complex scenes with over 100 raytraced light, and over 4 million of poly, you cannot know how many problems i find....

have a nice day.

mamurphy
04-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks, I guess I'll have to do test renders one light at a time.:(