PDA

View Full Version : Image map on a hoop?

Heimhenge
03-20-2003, 04:19 PM
I modeled a flat hoop by using a torus with zero Y cross-section (like the kind of hoop that would go around a barrel). It's circumference is 36.000 inches. Its height is 2.000 inches.

Then I created a bitmap 2.000 inches by 8.000 inches with a pattern on it that I needed to match up exactly at the seams.

I set the surface texture editor to map 4 tilings of the image along the circumference, and of course chose "cylindrical" as the type of mapping. But I get these weird distortions where the tilings meet edge to edge (image attached).

I've tried adjusting the scale of both the image and the mapping multiplier, but can't seem to lose the distortions. They stay there through the render and show up in the AVI, so this ain't a display problem. Any ideas?

Heimhenge
03-20-2003, 11:22 PM
Whoa ... it was a display problem. When I ran the animation on a different system the "noise" disappeared.

Further evidence (along with the occasional system hang in Modeler) that I have some OpenGL issues. Well, my new graphics card, NVidia Ti 4600, arrived today. I'll install it this weekend and hopefully see these problems go away.

John Fornasar
03-21-2003, 07:18 PM
circumference is 36"
height is 2"
bitmap 2" x 8" with a pattern on it that I needed to match up exactly at the seams. I set the surface texture editor to map 4 tilings of the image

It's been a long day, so maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't 4" x 8" come out to 32"?

Heimhenge
03-22-2003, 12:31 AM
Sorry John. It was my long day (with cylinfrical mapping). The circumference is indeed 32". Duh. But as I said ... it was a display problem. New graphics card solved it.