PDA

View Full Version : Mouse buttons for keyboard shortcuts - boo hoo :(

TerryFord
02-11-2003, 07:03 AM
So, got a spiffy new Logitech MX700 thinking it would be cool to configure the 2 thumb buttons as Shift and Ctrl to give me context menus, plus the other 2 exta buttons for my most commonly used tools Drag and Move. No can do.

Lightwave seems to be using a different key reading method to all my other Windows software, so it's not seeing the extra mouse buttons at all. Anybody managed to get their extra mouse buttons working? If not, feature request; make LightWave/Modeler work with 21Century mice...

Spiffy.

Regards,
Terry

Opticon
02-11-2003, 08:34 AM
I know that the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer series (optical, corded and cordless) allows you to program individual buttons that are context specific for specific programs. In my endless search for a "21st Century" mouse I decided on the Logitech Optical Cordless MouseMan. For the button issue I wish I went with the Intellimouse but thought that the Logitech was more comfortable. The main gripe I have with the MouseMan is that it needs a white surface to function optimally (my desk is black and I can't find a smooth, white mouse pad) and the batteries wear out too quickly. I know your MX700 has a charger, but I thought that the thing was too damn heavy. Anyway, my 2 cents.:D

Skonk
02-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Iv been using an intelli mouse explorer for ages (got it the day it came on sale) and i never ever thought of setting the buttons for use in lightwave, but iv just tried it. I set the 2 sides buttons to ctrl and shift and it works a treat, it even detects when lightwave loads up (i have profiles for some games too) so u dont even have to switch profiles yourself, it does it for you. Not bad :)

James..

Opticon
02-11-2003, 11:11 AM
James, just curious: Which one do you have? The Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 (the one without the cord)?

I'm thinking of trying that one because of the button functionality and I'm sick of wasting batteries on the MouseMan. Also, how accurate is the tracking? For instance is it hard to nudge the mouse to a particular point? :confused:

TerryFord
02-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Bah, driver issue then. I had an intellimouse, prefer Logitech though - better tracking IMHO (and I move pixels around for a living). So there.

Regards,
Terry

Skonk
02-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Its the original Intelli mouse explorer (2.0?) it has a cord. Theres a new version of it out (3.0), again with cord but it also uses 2 spots of light to calculate the position, the one i have has a problem where if u move it too fast the cursor goes haywire, the new one can be moved as fast as u want and it all works :). I would of got the wireless one the other day cos i need a new one (this ones took some hammer and the buttons dont work too well now) but i cant do with having to change batteries. If it had a base unit that charged it like the logitech one i would of got it, but i think i'll just get the 3.0 version ofthe mouse i got now. Its a shame cos the wireless one is by far the best shaped mouse ms have ever made, it fits your hand like a glove.

James..

Opticon
02-11-2003, 11:35 AM
I thought the cordless Intellimouse had the worst tracking, was too heavy and I didn't find it comfortable, in fact found it too bulky (all hands are not shaped equally). On the plus side it has a great battery conserving technology where it senses when it is not being used and shuts down to "sleep" mode and when it senses movement it "wakes" up. As usual each mouse has it's strengths and weaknesses and I wish there was one that had it all - just like I wish there was one 3D app that had it all, but that's a topic for another discussion...:(

Skonk
02-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Until a better wireless mouse comes out i'll stick with wired, the intelli mouse explorer 3.0 seems to be the best choice to me.

James..

TerryFord
02-12-2003, 08:03 AM
Google Groups search to the rescue; aparently the latest Logitech mouse drivers disable emec.exe (it handles the button mapping) in opengl32 apps, so the extra buttons are unavailabe in loads of games and 3D softs. Smart.

Solution; use older 9.73 drivers, Shift+Ctrl seem to be mutually exclusive though so I still have to drag two whole fingers over to the keyboard to get context menus :).

Regards,
Terry

Rory_L
02-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Does anyone use a tablet and pen? How is it? Loads of my colleagues over in this neck of the woods use them.

`Course, they use them with Maya, so I can`t trust their judgement! :D

R

jimnokc
02-15-2003, 08:25 AM
I have a Microsoft TrackBall Optical with the extra two buttons mapped to / and <space> and they work fine in LW, I just keep forgetting the buttons are there. :)

Also, regarding the graphics tablet, I have a Wacom Graphire (one of the little ones, found it for $49 at Sams!) The pen mode with the pen works fine in LW, but using the cordless mouse in mouse mode seems very flaky. The pen works great but is better if you maximize one viewport since the tablet maps to the entire screen. Works great in pen & sketch mode with a max'd viewport.

Skonk
02-15-2003, 12:53 PM
I use a tablet for photoshop work and its great but i use mouse in lw, i had a quick go ages back but i found it was a lot easier with a mouse. My tablet is only a small one, quite old too, ArtPad 2 i think.

James..