PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for 8 and need help

prospector
04-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Tho I don't have it yet (pre-ordered), I am getting everything ready, (cleaning off HDs and removing 7.5).

I found that I have over 100 megs of presets and they are all in 1 folder:(

I looked at them with notepad but can't find what folder they should be in.

Is there a way to find this out?

I would like to get the point lights together and spots together and so on and so on.....

Also have over 300 megs of plugins and lscripts
sadly in the same folder too:(

mkiii
04-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Sounds like you're going to have a fun time sorting them out. I assume none of these are the standard ones that are installed with LW? If they are, then I'm pretty sure you will get them all back with the new install of 8.

If they are not, then how did you ever manage to use any of them if they are all in one dir?

from what I can tell, all the presets are basically binary headers with chunks of data after them, in a similar way to lwo files.

I don't think they contain any data listing their proper location on disc, however, there are clues you can search for.

Surface editor presets contain the word 'surface' & 'LWO2SURF',
Sky Tracer files have 'SkyTracer2',
Volumetric lights have 'VLight Editor',
Hypervoxels have 'HyperVoxels'

I'm sure there are others too, so all I can suggest, is to sort them out into rough categories, by using a simple text search.

prospector
04-24-2004, 10:53 PM
For plugs and lscripts I just did a read of complete LW folder:)
For surfaces I just put them all in the workbench folder. Some never showed up:(

Spent a weekend once and downloaded everything from Flay and wherever I found other plugins. and just put everything in same folder. But most of the Japanese ones I have NO IDEA what they are anymore:D

Then I did same for preset central and the presets.. Just downloaded all I could find to one folder:(

Now I'm JUST CONFUSED !!!

Librarian
04-24-2004, 11:26 PM
I always put my 3rd party plugis and scripts in a seperate folder.
That makes it easier to keep track of it.

Brett H.
04-25-2004, 03:10 PM
If you have no idea what they are or what they do, it would seem that you never use them now, and won't need them later. :)
I would let them go and head to Flay later when you need something. I have had hundreds of plugins that I've deleted, because I have never even touched them. Sometimes the workflow you're used to is the best for you, without adding the unneeded complexity of a bunch of extra plugins.

Brett

prospector
04-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Yea..that's what I'm thinking

But when I click additional button, it looks cool to scroll for 10 min:D

But the presets are what I really need straightened out.
Point lightrs, HV, sprites, metals, rocks,
ARRGGGG