PDA

View Full Version : Feature Wish List for 8.x releases

Emmanuel
04-24-2004, 02:10 PM
For modeler:

1)Exactly the same variety of display options as Layout (important for game development, or is anybody tweaking the UVs in Layout ?)

2)More interactivity and "history" for tools like Array, curve extrusion...

For Layout:

1)Undo/Redo for every thing that can be changed: colours, textures, gradients etc

2)Universal PRESET: lets me not only save presets for volumetrics, surfaces etc, but lets me actually preset a WHOLE SCENE with everything (objects, surfaces, lights etc) with a doubleclick on the VIPER window (for example), so that I can experiment more freely (until (1) has been added); little thumps are added to the SCENE PRESET LIBRARY, so that I can "roll-back" like in Windows any time

3) Grid snapping, object snapping, user defined snapping

4)Gradients/colour ramps/"T"-button for lights

For both:

1)Customizable GUI where I can change the colours WITHIN LightWave, not through notepad !

2)Optimal use of three mouse buttons (right click on an item in Layout to open a property panel, right click on a vertex in mdoeler to open numerics/info/whatever...)

Nemoid
04-25-2004, 07:37 AM
1) hope that during the 8.x cycle Lw will be integrated as Dr Cross said into a new environment.

Nt should take very seriously the occasion to build up a structure in wich, with common tools of modeler, we operate into an unique environment. this can be made programming in C++ and using part of the code, so what it requires is only a good programming.

2) SDK update. and documentation. SDK is SO important it's a really base thing in the app that will allow (like all users know) 3rd parties and the programmers themselves to build up great plugins operating smoothly between each other and more important, with the core of the app.

3) since it is the really weakest part of the app yet, enhancing animation tools its needed. look at programs like MB and messiah. they rock in speed animating and ease of use.
the common tools we just have currently in modeler will be of great help for animation. too many users are forced to use messiah or go in other apps for animation. of course you can animate in lw and do good works, but mixed pipelines are very common and instead shouldn't be SO common.

4) introducing snaps with the grid.modelling/animating this is really needed for sure.

5) introducing NURBS at least for building curves/deformation curves and primitives.

6) construction history with possibility to disable if needed.

7) instances. in modelling they are a need and give alot of flexibility to the process, also for jobs with clients wich want changes on the fly, and much more.

8) Ngons and real edges

9) unlimited undos for everything

8) fully customizable UI in Colors, panels organization, font dimension item visualizations units and layouts etc. all in one panel.
Take a serious look to Macromedia's Flash MX and also to Coreldraw photopaint UI. It rocks. see attachables panels and nestable too. copy them.

10) updated screamernet. it doesn't work properly.

11) coupled with our traditional surface editor, a nodal surfacing editor for complex tasks

12) updated and solved UV distortions and seams with sub -d

13) better updated UV tools.

14) allow 3rd party renderers to work smoothly and be supported with Lw. Fprime of course, and Mray and others. IMO Fprime should become a new rendering engine for Lw in the future.

15) better import / export for eps DXF and cad files

16) document extensively all areas of the app. also test heavily the app with huge animation projects. the less workarounds it requires, the better the app.

17) kill the hub. it will have no need in an integrated app.

ok i think i said enough for now.

hrgiger
04-25-2004, 08:17 AM
.....This is a little premature since my 8 hasn't shipped yet but I've heard from the others who have received theirs that the feedback in Layout while animating is just as painfully slow as it is in 7.5.

What is the good of the new character animation tools in 8 if it takes us half a minute to pose an IK chain? I was really hoping to see some improvement in 8 but I guess that didn't happen.

It'd sure be great to have edge support or NGons or any other number of features, but the feedback speed of bones and rigs in Layout is the ONLY thing that makes me consider buying another app like Messiah or MotionBuilder. And I can't afford it anyway so it's not really an option right now.

Please Newtek, figure out the bottleneck in Layout and fix it for a point release...Please...Pretty please, with sugar on top... Has anyone ever noticed that studios that use Lightwave generally use another app to do the animating? Hmmm, wonder why..... Jimmy Neutron....Robbie Williams video...

Nemoid
04-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Exactly, HR. the DNA guys used Messiah, and then passed to a Lw+Maya pipeline i think exactly for that matter.Also Taron in Computer Cafe uses Messiah.

As you could have noticed, Splinegod gave great and precious hints both on IK boost and char setup ( he knows alot and did so much Lw animation ) but this doesn't mean Lw is speedy. so, also with the current structure one thing to do is making animation in Lw more confortable for sure

Exper
04-26-2004, 04:12 AM
Agree with you guys!

Still waiting for my copy of LW8...
but I'd like to see implemented something, at least, from the Gradient Input list (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11098)! ;)

Nemoid
04-26-2004, 10:02 AM
hehe
add your requests to the list, and also send them to nt feature request. detail your suggestions the more you can!! :)

Ma quando arriva sto Lw8? :D

Vincent Brumbac
04-26-2004, 10:56 PM
I don't understand the whole unlimited undo thing. Instead of hitting undo 9999 times wouldn't it be easier to load up something that was saved during the modelling process? I think what is needed is non-linear modelling instead.

Cheers,

Vincent D. Brumback

Nemoid
04-27-2004, 01:30 AM
well, undos can save you alot of time when animating, in fact now they added them for move, rotate scale, but also in panels they can be useful alot in layout, as well as for many operations you do in layout. i agree about construction history for modelling and non linerar modelling too, with the possibility to disable it when needed.
for example, now XSI has a construction mode wich allows to build shape deformations and sort of endomorph, and since they are in the same environment all of this works together with animation, with a smooth workflow.

Matt
04-27-2004, 01:50 AM
For me it's simple:

Much, much faster rendering / AA and improved GI / HDRI.

HowardM
04-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Of course for me its improved Hard Bodies, futher development (speed up and more control) of HVs and of course faster rendering!

paulrus
04-27-2004, 09:14 AM
Simple request:

The ability to add/edit plugins and then create buttons or keyboard shortcuts for those plugins within the same window.

zarti
04-27-2004, 11:34 AM
........ Virtual Folders................
In image editor, surface editor and anywhere else (where it is possible),
where we can virtually organize: images, textures, objects, presets, ..... beers :D , like in Windows Explorer.