PDA

View Full Version : Alpha channels on glass?

ivanjs
03-20-2003, 03:33 PM
I'm trying to put some text on a glass perfume bottle using a photoshop hi-res file of the text and an alpha channel, but I guess I'm confused on the process, cause it doesn't seem to work.

Any tutes on how to have a word on a glass object where the text IS NOT on a paper label, but is actually on the glass?
Basic, I know, but it's drivin' me nuts! If the bottle was flat, I could just import an illustrator file and ever so slightly extrude it from the flat glass, but unfortunately, the bottle is round.

John

Lewis
03-20-2003, 06:29 PM
Hi !

It's not important if bottle is round or falt you just need to add another surface to polys where you want label. Apply your surface (same as on untextured part of glas) add texture, apply alpha map for texture (on transparency channel) and render :)

do you want something like this (look at image) what i did last year ? If yes then i can expalin you more in depth if you didn't catch my fast explain in this thread ;).

ivanjs
03-20-2003, 10:07 PM
Wow! That is exactly what I need help on (and your image is fantastic!!!)

Please explain (step by step if you have time) how you did this. it would be much appreciated!
John
http://homepage.mac.com/johnselvia/

videoMinistry
03-21-2003, 07:44 AM
That pic was very cool indeed! I want to learn how to make great art myself. It would be nice if you could make a DVD tutorial with some stuff that comes out nice like that. I would buy one!

Lewis
03-21-2003, 09:14 PM
Ok John here is some info about texures on glas :).

First i scaned image from box of that parfume, then i imported in paint program (Ps, paint or anything else) and set only BLACK and WHITE colors. Letters are WHITE and rest is black - since this parfume uses white letters that's easy then.

After that i saved image and go in LW modeler. I hope you already aded your glas model gals surface (LW have it in presets). Then i makred front polygons where i want to show logo. Then i copyed surface of glas to that same texture but i also set previously made image to be on "T" at color settings. And all other what you need to do is set same image and settings to Transparency cannel but image settings needs to be "A" wich is alpha channel and that's it.

Note - you wont see that effect in modeler so don't wory - just import in layout and testrender ;).

cheers

ivanjs
03-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Hey, thanks for the tutorial. It worked beautifully. Don't know what I was doing wrong before (it was very very close to what you suggested). Only thing I had to change in your tutorial was my white text was coming out black for some reason, so I added a diffusion map to keep it's color.

Here's a render I did. Any idea why the shadow is solid here? Since it's a clear bottle, I would think the light would just pass on through. I had caustics turned on by the way.
Take care and thanks again.
John

Lewis
03-23-2003, 05:19 PM
did you turned on raytrace , shadows, reflections, refraction adn transparency ??

btw bootle looks very cool

Skonk
03-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Both bottles look v cool :)

oh also make sure your spotlights arn't set to shadow map(they want to be on raytrace) and as lewis said, turn on raytraced shadows and transparency(render options panel).

James..

Rory_L
03-24-2003, 02:38 AM
I remember Jack Daniel doing a good tutorial on this topic a while back. He did a whiskey bottle. If you hadn`t already got the help from Lewis I`d have done a search for it, but it looks like you don`t need it now and I`m a lazy son of a ....:D

R