PDA

View Full Version : First LW8 render with speed comparisons to LW 7.5

Tim Parsons
04-23-2004, 10:34 PM
I thought you guys might enjoy this. Machine specs are as follows P4 2.4MHz 1GigRam. LW8 came in at 13m 35sec. LW7.5c at 13m 57sec. Scene stats are as follows 27,966 polys , 3 area lights and 1 distant light rendered at 800 x 600 with enhanced low AA. With FPrime this all seems pretty mute, but hey 22sec. is better than nothing.! There's been a lot of talk about the interface (buttons, colors etc.) Personally I find LW8 very retro, but hey I liked 5.6, I just liked 6 and 7 better. Really it's not that bad. The overall interface feels and looks pretty good, the panels ( lights, camera, render etc.) seem very busy. I understand NT's reasoning for making the buttons on the panels bold with the text, I've trained several users this past year and everyone always wanted to just press the small check mark buttons and didn't know they could press the text. So I suppose this is a good thing. My biggest complaint would be not being able to find anything, but that can be expected. NT has provided presets to change the interface to the 7.5 , 6.0, and 5.6 styles. I think I'll leave the 8 configuration, but change the keyboard short-cuts back to what I am familiar with. (ctrl-z for undo is most definitely nuts!!) But again for new users it's probably a good thing.

Oh and for all you guys just chomp'n at the bit to get a hold of your LW8 upgrades, all I can say is hang in there because there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how they are shipping. Our company paid for and ordered 4 upgrades and were entitled to 3 free upgrades for a total of 7 upgrades. We received one (1)!!! And it was one of the free ones!!! Go figure!

See ya!

Tim Parsons
04-23-2004, 10:36 PM
the image

cgirolet
04-24-2004, 02:12 AM
At least you got one :) I'm still waiting for mine (i ordered it around june 2003) the same day lw8 upgrade + dfx was launched.

Did your post meant that they've changed all the classical keyboard shortcuts we were used to ? like "u" for "undo", "x" for box and "t" for move ? That's silly, now we'll spend hours remapping them all (at least i will)

Well i'm waiting for my copy anyway in order to see if it was worth the price and wait or just a bunch of plugins done by third parties and added by NT (as they did for 7.0 and 7.5)

gregsduncan
04-24-2004, 04:23 AM
The CTRL+Z for undo is probably to standardise it with other Windows apps. Have the other shortcuts changed too e.g. copy CTRL+C, paste CTRL+V etc to be standard with other Windows progs?

Tim Parsons
04-24-2004, 01:15 PM
They've changed to Windows "standardized" short cuts. t for move, h for stretch etc. have remained the same with things like set-value switched to v. I changed everything back to what I was accustomed to since 5.6. NT added a new tool called Cut that was mapped to the C key and Clone was mapped to c key. These are only a few of the changes. l is no longer Load Object but is mapped to the new Bridge tool. etc. etc. etc. Just a lot of changes like that. I'm a lefty so a lot of the new short cuts just didn't seem to work, especially the ctrl-c and ctrl-v to copy and paste. 85% of my work day is spent in LW with just some simple comping done in Photoshop, so I've never really gotten into the "standardized" short cuts. I still have more work to do to get to where I'll feel comfortable again.

Cheers
Tim