PDA

View Full Version : Song words for church app, best method?

RandyM
04-23-2004, 06:43 PM
It's me again

I was wandering from others using VT3 in the church field, how your setup is for songs to show the words.

Looking for info on:

1) Style
-Do you leave a live switch feed showing people in the background and overlay text ontop?
2) VT3 Setup
-Do you use CG or DDR with CG's saved... do you roll or page by page.

Any feedback from your experience will be much appreciated.

Thank-you in advance.

Kevin
04-24-2004, 11:58 AM
My doesn't used VT[3] for it's CG, it uses Inscriber (which is honestly a far better program) but they way we do it is we have the lyrics full screen on the projectors in the main auditorium, except for speical songs. Special songs are like solos, or songs that someone at our Church wrote. Then we will have the camera zoom in on that person and do a cg lower thrid.

We also have monitors out in the foyer, so people can tke noisy kids out there and still see and hear the service. There we show usually just the camera feed (except on specials songs, then we show the lower third and cam). People would get bored if they just saw a cg screen.

You can overlay the text ontop of the camera feed, but I dont think that looks very good.

If I was doing this with VT[3] I would put the cgs in the ddr. If possible, get the forms for the song for the song from the worship leader/head singer. Forms are the order that they will sing the song, verse, chours, verse verse, etc...

Then have a seperate cg for each part of the song (verse, chours, verse2, etc). Then put the cgs in the ddr in order so all you have to to is go to the next screen and you don't have to jump all around...

I hope that wasnt too confusing, I just woke up so i'm not sure if it will be very easy to understand. If you have any questions just email me.

-Kevin

RandyM
04-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Thank-you very much for your input. I have Inscriber from my RT2500 system so to output in TGA isn't a problem and import into the churches VT3. Great idea!

Wondering why you believe Inscriber is better?

Thank-you again..

Anyone else?

bradl
04-24-2004, 10:37 PM
There is a detailed tutorial on using VT in a church setting with song lyrics:
"VT | CG Pages In a Live Switch" (http://www.newtek.com/products/vt/tutorials/cg/index.html)

There are also many long threads on these forums discussing CG and Live switching.

Kevin
04-25-2004, 06:11 AM
I think Inscriber is a much more polished and professional CG program. I'm not very fond of VT[3]'s CG program, it takes a lot more time to make high quality CGs in there than it does in Inscriber. VT[3] CG feels like it's a CG program for post, Inscriber is a CG program for broadcast.

It's proabley just a matter of personal prefrence. If you like VT[3]'s CG then go ahead and use it. Having everything in one box would make things less confusing and require less people to run the show. I'll put up a diagram later of a couple ways that a church could set up it's video.

Btw, how large is you church?

hartley
04-26-2004, 08:46 AM
We use the VT3 CG program (although I will say I dont like that part of the program all that much..) and follow pretty much along the lines of the tutorial. Usually about two lines of text on the bottom of the screen. Since our primary purpose is IMAG we dont want to take video off and just have lyrics up.

We have also mixed things up and chroma keyed power point slides to keep things seperate but tend to not like the end result as much.

Hartley

Kevin
04-26-2004, 02:21 PM
Yeah, IMAG is one thing you have to consider before you start thinking about CG. How much IMAG do you want during the music, and how much during the pastor's message?

In small to medium churches (And some large churches) I find IMAG durning the music distracting becuase I tend to focus on what's happening on the screen more than the focusing on worshiping God. However, if you church is really large and it would be hard to see the stage for a good number of people then it's a good idea to have IMAG.

Durning the teaching we have full screen CG pages that go along with the message. Verses, notes, quotes, etc. When theres a break in between the CGs we go to IMAG. It's good to have the CG page up long enough so people can read it and make notes, but you dont want have it up there so long that it's irrelevent to what the pastor is talking about.

How much IMAG to use is often debated... I don't know if there is a right or wrong way to do thing. It dpeneds alot on the church and the audience.

How do you guys do things during the teaching, Hartly?

Chromakeying powerpoint usually isn't very pretty. It works, and it's cheap... but it's kind of ugly.

RandyM
04-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Our church has 3 services. each service would be around 600 people on a good sunday.

One thing you guys touched on was Power Point. Guest and some speakers bring their own Power Point presentation... so I was wandering how to incorporate that as well.

Randy

Kevin
04-26-2004, 06:31 PM
What I would do is build a sperate computer for power point. Depending on you budget you could either get a scan converter (which would convert a monitor output to a video signal) or use video out on a graphics card. Output from a scan converter would look better than s-video out of a graphics card. You could also you a laptop if you have limited working space, but that could get expensive. You could build a good enough computer for between three and five hundred dollars (not including the monitor.) but any decent computer should work for powerpoint.

Then hook that computer up to VT[3]'s breakout box and you can switch between it and other inputs.

-Kevin

netv
04-29-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm using Prologue Sunday+ on a dual vga second computer with the second monitor outputting s-video into one of the inputs on the SX-8 “this program is super easy and is designed specifically for volunteer staff and is point and click worship” this is keyed over the live camera and depending on the background can be the live video, video clip or a still image. This frees me up to color my cameras and concentrate on switching as the worship is in progress with a volunteer clicking thru the songs, if no one is available (which is rare because it’s lot’s of fun and most of the volunteer’s are the youth), it ships as a site license I also have it on my VT3 with the song files on a network share and can use it from there same way. It integrates in one click flash, QT movies, mpeg ˝, PowerPoint, almost every graphic file etcetera easily into the finished output and the best part is there’s a lot less pressure on me. I can’t wait till the key input on the SX-8 is enabled to make it even easier.;)

netv
04-29-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm using Prologue Sunday+ on a dual vga second computer with the second monitor outputting s-video into one of the inputs on the SX-8 “this program is super easy and is designed specifically for volunteer staff and is point and click worship” this is keyed over the live camera and depending on the background can be the live video, video clip or a still image. This frees me up to color my cameras and concentrate on switching as the worship is in progress with a volunteer clicking thru the songs, if no one is available (which is rare because it’s lot’s of fun and most of the volunteer’s are the youth), it ships as a site license I also have it on my VT3 with the song files on a network share and can use it from there same way. It integrates in one click flash, QT movies, mpeg ˝, PowerPoint, almost every graphic file etcetera easily into the finished output and the best part is there’s a lot less pressure on me. I can’t wait till the key input on the SX-8 is enabled to make it even easier.;)