PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 "web based help"

Jockomo
04-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Can someone with lightwave8 please check out the "web-based help" and see if they have it up yet. If it is, could you give us a link to it so we can start reading the manual?

According to the "other enhancements"

Link to the local Help Files that install with LightWave 8 the complete reference manual in an easy to navigate HTML structure or to NewTek's web-based Help Files and Tutorials, which are updated and extended regularly.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/8/images/inline-help-system.jpg

Jockomo
04-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Hello? Chuck? Proton? Could we get some info on this? Obviously the document is at least somewhat finished, as it has shipped with the current versions of lightwave. Is there a reason you guys don't want to post this up so people who don't have theirs yet can read it?

Reading the manual would be a really constructive use of my time while waiting for my copy.

Chuck
04-24-2004, 11:52 AM
For now, plans have changed, and we aren't going to be putting up a version of the help file on the web pages. We will have a new section of LW[8] tips and tutorials that Web-based help will point to, as I understand.

We also need to revise the LW[8] New features pages to take into account some last minutes changes in what ended up being in and what didn't make it. Apologies, but it may take us a few days to address that.

Earl
04-24-2004, 12:00 PM
It's Saturday, take a day off Chuck! :D

riki
04-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Hi Chuck

is Web Based help still in development? Can you confirm what features never made it. Will they be included in future 8.xx upgrades.

Many thanks

xeno3d
04-24-2004, 08:42 PM
We also need to revise the LW[8] New features pages to take into account some last minutes changes in what ended up being in and what didn't make it.

some stuff didnt make it? :(

Chuck.. off topic to this thread.. can you tell us if any shipments were fullfilled last week at all or are they starting up again this week? Thanks :)

Chuck
04-24-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by xeno3d
some stuff didnt make it? :(

Chuck.. off topic to this thread.. can you tell us if any shipments were fullfilled last week at all or are they starting up again this week? Thanks :)

Actually I was out sick from Wednesday on, so I'm a bit out of the loop. Last I heard the fulfillment house had not sent additional shipments, but I'll have to check on Monday to see what's gone on.

Chuck
04-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by riki
Hi Chuck

is Web Based help still in development? Can you confirm what features never made it. Will they be included in future 8.xx upgrades.

Many thanks

I'm not going to have any answer on web-based help for a while. As far as the items that we listed but that subsequently ended up not being part of 8.0, the two in particular that I know of are the web-based help file, and that turning subd's on and off was originally going to be removed from the Modeler Undo stack, and subsequently there were issues that required leaving it in the stack for this round.

Librarian
04-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
and that turning subd's on and off was originally going to be removed from the Modeler Undo stack, and subsequently there were issues that required leaving it in the stack for this round.
In order to keep it compatible with existing plugs and lscripts, right?

pauland
04-25-2004, 04:54 AM
For goodness sake, give Chuck a break!

WizCraker
04-25-2004, 04:54 AM
Actually I was out sick from Wednesday on, so I'm a bit out of the loop. Last I heard the fulfillment house had not sent additional shipments, but I'll have to check on Monday to see what's gone on.

Not much of a fulfillment house if they can't fulfill orders.

Chuck
04-25-2004, 07:35 AM
Not much of a fulfillment house if they can't fulfill orders.

Your sig says it all.

Red_Oddity
04-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Actually I was out sick from Wednesday on, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

So you catch up in your weekend? Dude, you're hard-core...:eek:

WilliamVaughan
04-25-2004, 06:45 PM
Chuck is simply amazing! If NewTek could only figure out a way to clone him :)

riki
04-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks Chuck, much appreciated.

hrgiger
04-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Is there going to be a pdf available at some point? I would have bought the manual but I really just want some documentation on what's new in LW8.

And also, why hadn't the fulfillment house sent out any more orders? Is the plan still to get LW8 out before the end of the month to customers. Unfortunately, I was not one of the lucky ones who got their Lightwave last Monday.

xeno3d
04-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Wondering why there may not have been any more orders sent out last week myself.. if that's so then to tomorrow will be a very sad day for many.

WizCraker
04-25-2004, 11:17 PM
So what fullfillment house was it one in San Antonio?

pauland
04-26-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by WizCraker
So what fullfillment house was it one in San Antonio?

Perhaps it was 'The Discrete Fulfillment Co.' ... probably had good rates..

xeno3d
04-26-2004, 06:39 AM
Im sure Chuck will update us on whats up with the fullfillment house once he hears something. :)

Emmanuel
04-26-2004, 10:02 AM
@Proton:
That's easy...the real question is: would You clone him rectangular or radial :D

Sorry, too tempting...

Chuck
04-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Okay, here's the news - the fulfillment house got all the production done last week and was able to begin packing and shipping - they informed us this afternoon that they should have the majority of the upgrades packed and mailed today and the rest will be packed and mailed tomorrow.

lede
04-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Hey Chuck your just AWSOM! Thanks for giving us this update.

-Lee

WizCraker
04-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Chuck,

Thanks,

If it were not for you communicating to the users we would all be lost in the woods.

Jockomo
04-26-2004, 08:27 PM
That is great news Chuck, it doesn't deserve to be buried in a thread down here!

Librarian
05-02-2004, 08:42 AM
We all want Lw to become the best documented 3d app.
Here are some suggestions:
- Constantly expanded Web based help with new Tutorials. I think that`s already there. But let`s go further.
-> Possibility to load scenes, objects, motions, files and so on directly in Layout or Modeler by clicking on a link.
With information about a scene with Pictures, description, author information, date etc. And a feature that generates the html code for scenes/objects.
All combined with a well sorted database of examples, materials, presets...
Killer feature!
Changing models and scenes with others via Web. Offers more options for project based work.
The idea is not new, in XSI it`s already possible and I think in Maya6 also.
The community of LW is one of the best, if not THE best, of all 3d applications.
This feature would give us more freedom to exploit a real power of Lw, the communication within the community.

theo
05-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Chucky zipped WizCracker's cracker.

adhesiveX
05-02-2004, 06:26 PM
with no hesitation.
but he was'nt wrong.