PDA

View Full Version : DFX+ and Lightwave

jumbo
04-23-2004, 10:06 AM
I recently received DFX+ as part of a Lightwave upgrade offer. I tried to install and run it and couldn't. Eventually I discovered that it requires Windows 2000 and up; I have 98. With this in mind, it seemed to be a good idea to look for a laptop. Seeing the system requirements listed by eyeon, I'm wondering what exactly this software does. Can I do most of what it does in Lightwave?

mrunion
04-26-2004, 08:39 AM
You can proba bly do *some* of what DFX+ does, but DFX+ is basically there to allow you to do things in post editing that is easier, quicker, etc. than in LW. Depth-blur, compositing, etc. are things DFX+ is made for.

jumbo
04-26-2004, 09:57 AM
Thank you. Can this program be used to add sound as well?

mrunion
04-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Honestly, I don't know. I kinda doubt it, but I could be wrong.

Shloime
04-30-2004, 08:45 AM
Hi.

DFX is not very useful in adding sound. For that you should use any old video-editing-prog, like Adobe premiere, Pinnacle Edition or any other. DFX is a compositing program, so while in an editing program you more or less add video one after the other (in very simple terms), in a compositing prog you add video on top of each other, for example, you have a real-life backdrop video and want to add a CG-robot rendered in Lightwave, then you can use DFX and still have lots of control concerning masking and color-correction after the rendering of the robot, whereas with lightwaves own compositing tools you always have to render the whole thing.
Besides DFX comes with a nice set of tools for postediting blurs and fogs, as mentioned above.
Hope that helps a bit :)

CoryC
04-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Eyeon has a lot of tutorial material available so may want to download some of the videos. That would give you a better understanding of what is possible in DFX. One thing to keep in mind is some of the videos are for features in the modules not included.