PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Volumetrics Question

dhatch01
03-20-2003, 12:14 PM
I have a model with a spotlight inside an object with the standard preset glass surface. When I turn volumetrics on, I get no noticeable change. However, if I remove the spotlight from the case, I can see the volumetric fine.

Will volumetrics not work through transparency?

Also, stupid newbie that I am, I installed 7.5b. Could this be the problem?

dhatch01
03-24-2003, 11:53 AM
Looking back, I may not have worded my post very well, so I thought I'd try to clarify my question.

Are volumetric light effects visible when they are behind or inside an object with a transparent surface? i.e., A light inside a glass display case.

Please help me out!

Beam! I've been reading this board long enough to know that you, at least, have all the answers.

Thanks,
David

mlinde
03-24-2003, 01:50 PM
I'll take a stab at this --
From the LW manual:

"Because volumetrics are ray-traced, to see a HyperVoxel behind a transparent surface, you must ray trace transparent surfaces. You can do this by simply activating the Ray Trace Transparency option on the Render Options panel. However, this is not necessary if the Refraction Index of the objectís transparent surface (Surface Editor) is set greater than 1.0 (even 1.001) and Ray Trace Refraction on the Render Options panel is enabled. Also, if you want to see an object behind a transparent HyperVoxel surface, you need to set the Refraction Option to Ray Tracing + Backdrop on the HyperVoxels Shading, Environment tab."

However, there are also issues with the surfacing in LW 7.5b so you SHOULD downgrade to 7.5, if you can.

dhatch01
03-24-2003, 03:17 PM
Thank You! That got me on the right track. They are still acting strange, but that seems to be the 7.5b update.

I had checked the manual, but I had only looked under Volumetrics. I never thought to look under Hypervoxels (found it, page 15.9). I didn't know that the two were related.

I appreciate the help!