PDA

View Full Version : Do any LW8 Dynamics gurus (Ino?) read these forums?

HowardM
04-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Any chance someone like Ino that could post some explanations for the new Dynamics.
Maybe answer some of our questions?

Is there a way to get secondary collision motion from HardFX?
If a wall gets a major chunk blown out, how can I have the rest of the wall collapse from the lack of support?

There are ALOT of new variables that have poor documentation.

I know Chuck mentioned a real manual and tutorials soon, but that could be weeks, months.

Of course after a year of waiting, I would like to know how to do it now.
;)

Thanks!

TSpyrison
04-21-2004, 05:58 PM
If a wall gets a major chunk blown out, how can I have the rest of the wall collapse from the lack of support?

How do you keep your wall from falling in on itself in the first place?

jeremyhardin
04-21-2004, 09:40 PM
disclaimer:
don't have 8 yet.

could you keyframe gravity so that even if hard FX didn't collide, the wall would collapse on itself at frame 30 (for example)?
so when the collision happens the wall starts to collapse as if from the hard FX.

HowardM
04-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by jeremyhardin
disclaimer:
don't have 8 yet.

could you keyframe gravity so that even if hard FX didn't collide, the wall would collapse on itself at frame 30 (for example)?
so when the collision happens the wall starts to collapse as if from the hard FX.

Well, yes you can hand animate more collisions, events, winds, etc.
But Im hoping that somehow we can automatically have it detect it!
;)

TSpyrison - Self collision?

TSpyrison
04-22-2004, 06:16 AM
TSpyrison - Self collision?

For some reason, when that is tried, then you hit calculate, it starts calculating, but never finished.. Locked up I suppose...

like this..

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=164805

HowardM
04-22-2004, 08:07 AM
Ill take a look, but you have to change your avatar!
HATE THOSE FREAKIN THINGS!
;)

TSpyrison
04-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Heheh...
ok, ok..

Its time for a new avitar anyway...

Jinxius
04-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Howard, maybe I didn't understand your problem correctly, i don't have lw 8 at the moment :( , but maybe baking the first wall crashing and then re-adding the Rigid Body Dynamics and using the correct settings would do what you have in mind.

Hope that this can help, even if I'm sure you all know this better than me so probably you won't need the advice.

Jinxius.

HowardM
04-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Alright, Tom, ya better have a new avatar when youre reading this!
;)
WallBreak.zip (http://www.3dink.com/wallbreak.zip)

For starters, you shouldnt have intersecting polys in your pieces, Im sure thats not good for selfcollision.....so I moved them apart for you.

Why it works? Im not sure what works and what doesnt, apparently, like MD, you can have a setting that will basically throw LW into a loop...I think most times, if you wait patiently, it will come out....but alas I dont have that kind of patience.
:(

So, I tweaked a few things and Self Collision works....but go ahead and tweak some others...and sometimes itll work, sometimes itll looplock....

Hope they fix that.
We definitely need a better way to abort the calculations!

TSpyrison
04-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Hmm, Even that one seems to be taking an awfully long time to calculate ( at least on my machine.. goin on 10 minutes now I think)

I wish there were an...

oh.. wait.. Its finished.. it worked..

I wish there were an easy way to tell if the machine were simply still thinking or if it was just locked up...

HowardM
04-22-2004, 01:45 PM
hmmm that one should work pretty fast, and you should see it frame by frame....unless you tweaked my settings...but here on my 2.4ghz it calcs pretty fast.

but ya, we need a real progress bar and a real abort!

TSpyrison
04-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Actually, it might be my machine..
I seem to have beaten it into submission today.. Its doing everyting rather slowly..

Might have something to do with that image I scanned in.. It ended up at 600 meg..

Lemme re-boot and try it again

TSpyrison
04-22-2004, 02:38 PM
Ahh, much better...

There is something satisfying about breaking things isn't there? :)

HowardM
04-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Virtually, yes!
;)

Post some samples, didnt you say you had some dominoes?

TSpyrison
04-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Wasn't me..
But that should take to long to do...

TSpyrison
04-23-2004, 07:01 AM
ok, so maybe there is a little more to it than I thought, all my dominos seem to do is slide around rather than fall down on each other..

TSpyrison
04-23-2004, 09:53 AM
ok, I've got an effect that looks like "dominos on the moon" :)

kinda funny actually..

HowardM
04-23-2004, 09:57 AM
slide on each other or the floor?
tweak your friction and fix on the floor collision and of course use StopBy Stablizer on your HardFx Collision...that should stop the sliding.
email me the scene!

TSpyrison
04-23-2004, 10:21 AM
ok, well, here it is, rather screwy..

Ill tell ya, I know the manual has this stuff in it, but REALY trying to figgure out what some of this stuff does is some work..