PDA

View Full Version : bones and motion designer

natcoll
04-21-2004, 03:52 PM
hi all

Does anyone have some ideas as to how to work with bones and motion designer on the same character?

I have this alien character that has a skirt with a belt. What I would like to do is animate the character walking with the skirt flapping against his legs.
What I have found is that I can animate the walk, but when I apply the motion designer peramatures to the skirt texture the character takes his first step, then the body gets left behind as the bones carry on walking.
(Quite funny really, but not quite what I had in mind.)

Any ideas or tutorials that you are aware of?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Dodgy
04-21-2004, 05:17 PM
First, copy his legs and hips and make them into a separate object, this will be your collision object. You don't want to use your whole object where possible as collision is a very complex calculation, so you want very simple objects to be your collision object. Load that into layout.

Go into the bones panel for your legs and at the top, click on the 'Use bones from' pull down and select the main object which has the bones in it. This should make your legs object follow the main character. Now apply a collision custom object plugin to your legs and open the panel for it. Change the collision shape to 'object' and you should see a yellow mesh overlayed onto your legs. Also set the radius/level to something small in comparison to your mesh.

Go into motion designer and select your skirt in the object drop down. Activate it, so you have the object listed in the Surface tab. Go to the bottom and select thin cotton from the preset drop down. Press the Start button and hopefully the skirt should move over the leg object fingers crossed :)

And BTW, it's spelt Parameters :)

natcoll
04-21-2004, 05:29 PM
that's really cool. Thanks. I'll give that a go.
thanks for the spell check too. (Not my best subject at school:D )

natcoll
04-21-2004, 05:30 PM
BTW.
Do the skirt polygons need to be flipped and then double-sided for them to re-act with the collison object?

chilledaqua
04-21-2004, 05:42 PM
MD is based off of points so i dont belive the polygons are all that important. of course the polygons connect the points and help the points stay together but they aren't the main part of the calculation. I'd just make sure the polygons are visible so you can see the calculation correctly.

Dodgy
04-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Ignore what i said about adding the collision custom object plugin, just select the legs in motion designer and activate them. Don't turn them into a target, just activate them so the options come up. This turns them into a collision object.

Seems the collision custom object plugin can't read bones deformation :P Should have tried it first :) Getting too late :)

You shouldn't have to have double siding on or flipped for it to work...

And if you're using sub division objects, set the sub-division order (in the Object propeties panel>geometry) to last.

natcoll
04-21-2004, 08:08 PM
OK thanks.
I'll give it a try.