PDA

View Full Version : To Customer Support: LW8 Preoders Shipping Status

ghopper
04-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Some already have received the LW upgrade, but maybe for the rest who preordered it would be a good idea for NTs Customer Support to give us some sort of shipping status.

Have all preorders been shipped out already ?

If not, how long should the rest of us wait for the upgrade, before we call customer support and start whining why we haven't received our upgrade yet ;)

thanks

jvavra
04-21-2004, 03:54 PM
I live 3 hours away from newtek and I still don't have the program. figure that one out

Wade
04-21-2004, 04:28 PM
See - Chuck's comments -

Chuck
04-21-2004, 05:18 PM
In order to provide the upgrades in the most timely fashion we are using a fulfillment house. They are producing and shipping the upgrades as rapidly as possible and expect to be able to ship all upgrades within a very short time.

Customer Services will not have access to information from the fulfillment house, and cannot provide status for nor expedite individual orders.

RebelHill
04-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Dude, that's fine. I imagine that's a lot of cds to press. But you know, all I've had is an email to confirm my shipping address, but there's no worrd anywhere saying what you've just said, no emails, no notice on the site, and i still can't figure out for the life of me why previous upgrades have gone online to download, but this one aint doin'.
Don't get me wrong, if you guys said up yours wait till december, I'd be fine, cos lets face it fellas, you pay your money, you take your choice, know whatI'm saying, but a nice word or notice or explanation of wtf is going onwould be kinda nice, and all fluffy, like.

Silkrooster
04-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Actually I am kinda glad they decided to go with snail mail. For the simple reason that some do not have broadband yet. However they could have given the option for those that do have broadband to receive download or get it by mail. Perhaps they were worried about the extra load on their server and would not beable to handle the load. As I am sure everyone would want it at the same time.
A couple of quick questions for NT, is the manual still going to be extra and if it is is there going to be an order form or some place on the web site to get it. Also is there enough change of information to justify paying for a new manual when I already have the ver 7.5 manual.

ddho1981
04-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by RebelHill
. . . and i still can't figure out for the life of me why previous upgrades have gone online to download, but this one aint doin'.

*purely conjecture*

in regards to why it's not downloadable, LW 7.5 requires only 32 MB hd space, but if you look at the requirements for LW 8, the required harddrive space NOT INCLUDING CONTENT is 230 MB, which is a heftier download and maybe not as convenient for a lot of people. but that's just a guess.

themaxx
04-21-2004, 07:48 PM
i'd rather have "real" cds.

ghopper
04-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
Customer Services will not have access to information from the fulfillment house, and cannot provide status for nor expedite individual orders.

If that is the case, I realize it's difficult to provide status for individual orders.

But I didn't really wanted to know my individual order status, just wanted to know if you can give us an approximate timeframe for all orders to be shipped out; when can we expect our upgrade, within a week, 2 weeks or a month ?

Thanks

Zach
04-21-2004, 09:47 PM
I hope they don't do it alphabetically, my initials are all at the end of the alphabet.... ZTW

Chuck
04-22-2004, 06:55 AM
Dude, that's fine. I imagine that's a lot of cds to press. But you know, all I've had is an email to confirm my shipping address, but there's no worrd anywhere saying what you've just said, no emails, no notice on the site, and i still can't figure out for the life of me why previous upgrades have gone online to download, but this one aint doin'.
Don't get me wrong, if you guys said up yours wait till december, I'd be fine, cos lets face it fellas, you pay your money, you take your choice, know whatI'm saying, but a nice word or notice or explanation of wtf is going onwould be kinda nice, and all fluffy, like.

We sent an email blast with the information above last week to all LightWave owners registered with the US office. You have our apologies if that did not reach you for any reason. If you have a folder that sorts emails your filters identify as spam, you might check for it. We've had quite a few folks report not getting an email and then subsequently report that it had gotten sorted into their spam folder. The message has also been quoted here, including the passage describing our fulfillment plans.

As for why no download - first, there has never been a download option for an ordinal (x.0) release. Downloads are only made available for point releases, and only to registered owners of the ordinal release to which they apply. We just don't do that with ordinal releases. Folks who own preceding ordinal versions always have to purchase and receive a later ordinal release as a package, with the software on CDs, even when point releases are posted for download for the current ordinal release. We've gone through several point releases in the 7.x cycle that have been posted for download, but 6.x and 5.x and 4.x owners do not upgrade to 7.5 by paying and downloading, they upgrade by paying for and receiving a 7.5 upgrade package with the software on CD.

Second, it would have been too large, in part precisely because it is an ordinal release where virtually every part of the software has undergone revision.

Chuck
04-22-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by ghopper
If that is the case, I realize it's difficult to provide status for individual orders.

But I didn't really wanted to know my individual order status, just wanted to know if you can give us an approximate timeframe for all orders to be shipped out; when can we expect our upgrade, within a week, 2 weeks or a month ?

Thanks

The estimated timeframe, as mentioned in the email to US-office registered owners, is that the upgrades we are fulfilling would all be shipped by no later than the end of this month.

xeno3d
04-22-2004, 07:08 AM
Hi Chuck,

do you know if the fullfilment house is shipping batches daily or weekly?

Chuck
04-22-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by xeno3d
Hi Chuck,

do you know if the fullfilment house is shipping batches daily or weekly?

They'll be shipping daily. They've had a couple of production issues this first week so they haven't gotten a batch out every day.

xeno3d
04-22-2004, 07:23 AM
Sounds good, thanks Chuck! :)

MiniFireDragon
04-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Just and FYI for everyone:

They aren't being stamped, they are being burned, or atleast the ones I got were burned.

Exper
04-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by MiniFireDragon
Jthey are being burned, or atleast the ones I got were burned. It just seems like the pre-order bundle LW7.5 + DFX...
LW was on burned CD (at least my own one).

sadkkf
04-22-2004, 08:35 AM
Again, Chuck, thank you for rumor control! :D

Chuck
04-22-2004, 09:30 AM

They aren't being stamped, they are being burned, or atleast the ones I got were burned.

The overwhelming majority will be CD-ROMs. A batch of CD-Rs was burned and used to get the ball rolling on shipping the upgrades.

tjacobs
04-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the updates Chuck. Hopefully the postman will bring it today.

Yog
04-22-2004, 10:10 AM
i still can't figure out for the life of me why previous upgrades have gone online to download, but this one aint doin'.

Probably because every single version NT has released online (including 5.6, 6.5. 7.5, and all the b,c,d minor tweaks) have all resulted in NT's servers being crashed big time, sometimes for days, and by all accounts this version is much bigger.

In fact going on past experience I can't understand why LW8 was originally slated for download at all.

kcole
04-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Aha! That would explain the gold discs. You guys got my hopes up momentarily - I thought they were DVDs! :)

TexasRiguez
04-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Yep, I live 20min from NT door and so far all I got is... a Rock..
No e-mail, no letters...I did not sign up for the web mail though....oh, and Fusion in a box back in August...
But I did have lunch there last week!
AND I have the letter confirming my purchase back in August so in a few days i'll come a knockin at their door..

Chuck
04-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Yog
In fact going on past experience I can't understand why LW8 was originally slated for download at all.

LightWave [8] was never slated for download. See my response regarding ordinal upgrades versus point upgrades. When we are going to provide something as a download, we say download. The term "electronic upgrade" was used to differentiate the new upgrade level that consists of CDs with the documentation in electronic format rather than printed.

WizCraker
04-22-2004, 12:07 PM

How do you tell the difference between stamped and burned? It all looks the same to me.

kcole
04-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Color for one. Gold almost always is CDR. Silver isn't.

T-Light
04-22-2004, 12:53 PM
"Color for one. Gold almost always is CDR. Silver isn't."

I have more silver writables than gold, I also tend to buy label'less CDR's for demo disks (and they're all silver).

If you compare a writable CD to a manufactured CD, the Manufactured CD will be somewhat lighter and more reflective on the business (read/write) side.

Go on someone, tell me I've just confused the issue. :p

nerdyguy227
04-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by WizCraker
How do you tell the difference between stamped and burned? It all looks the same to me.

Same question here!?!?:confused:

nixx
04-22-2004, 02:51 PM
LightWave [8] was never slated for download.

Not to beat a dead horse here Chuck, but NewTek said very clearly in the past that [8] was indeed slated for download !

Nothing wrong about cancelling it though, in fact, given the numerous problems (and complaints !) that something like that would cause, cancelling it was a wise move, if you ask me.

nick

Chuck
04-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by nixx
Not to beat a dead horse here Chuck, but NewTek said very clearly in the past that [8] was indeed slated for download !

Nothing wrong about cancelling it though, in fact, given the numerous problems (and complaints !) that something like that would cause, cancelling it was a wise move, if you ask me.

nick

Hi, Nick!

I wrote a lot of the official communications, so I know what we said pretty thoroughly, as well as what we planned. The term "electronic upgrade" was used for precisely the reason I mentioned. We did explore whether the upgrade could be offered for download, but the fact that it was an ordinal upgrade and the size very quickly made it clear that wouldn't be possible. When I was first given the messaging to turn into our first press release regarding [8], I questioned the term "electronic upgrade", since we hadn't used it before, and asked the exec staff if they meant "download". They didn't. They meant CDs and the docs in electronic format. If any of the official communications indicated a download, that was an error. But I think largely the impression just grew from folks interpreting "electronic upgrade" as download.

nixx
04-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi, Nick!

If any of the official communications indicated a download, that was an error. But I think largely the impression just grew from folks interpreting "electronic upgrade" as download.

Yes that's probably right Chuck, thanks for clarifying that yet again (I know it must be frustrating, so double-thanks !)

I was only pointing out that it has been officially and clearly said by NT staff in the past that [8] would be a download, and it was later cancelled, so that maybe explains the confusion that followed.
Please don't take this the wrong way Chuck - you know I 've been in this community and known you (at least "electronically", hehe :p) for ages ! That's just a "history study" of sorts :)

nick

themaxx
04-22-2004, 04:54 PM
this is sort of like the current political climate: denial until faced with incontrovertible evidence, then painted as a misunderstanding or mistake.

GeorgeDittmar
04-22-2004, 05:04 PM
hehe yep i agree

winged-cat
04-22-2004, 06:41 PM
The overwhelming majority will be CD-ROMs. A batch of CD-Rs was burned and used to get the ball rolling on shipping the upgrades.

Chuck,

I've always been curious about the size of the LW User base - are you at liberty to say about how many LW8 pre-orders were actually made? 100's, 1,000's, 5.24*10^5?

course I'm also curious of the ratio of pre-orders to last upgraded/registered versions of LW. 1 to 2 -- 1 to 10....

:D :D (numbers make me happy) :D:D

can I come work in your marketing department?:confused:

gjjackson
04-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Hey Chuck,

This may be a moot point but reading the option of the hard-copy manual there is included a manual of tutorials. Is the tutorial manual included on the CD. Also is it in PDF format or CHM. I don't know how other opinion's are but I despise PDF unless you plan on printing. For printing they're great, but not for reading. This is really a pet peeve of mine, web pages that use pdf's. There should be a Law... :)

Also what about a demo version. It would be nice if it were fully functional with some other method of not being able to use it for illegal endeavors. I'd like to see my son get involved in using it but he can't afford 1500 for a hobby as I can. He doesn't qualify for the educational version. Even then I'm not sure he'd shell out the price.

A final note, Chuck. I'm very impressed with Newtek and their products. I suspect your company alone has be instrumental in making this technology available to the masses. The only drawback may be the effect on the job market. But 3D can be used not only in film and such. My reason for buying it, at my own expense, was to bring 3D to Data Acquisition monitoring systems. To display a realistic image of field operations and animate control systems could very well be a wide open field. Hopefully I can develop some software to accomplish this. And if I can't it'll sure be fun trying.

Greg
Kansas Gas Service
Sr. Technical Analyst

The gas utility industry is one of a vast Data Acquisition industry.

xeno3d
04-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Chuck,

Can you please tell us when the last batch was shipped besides for the batch that left on the 16th? That way were all not waiting for something that hasn't actually been shipped? :)

sketchyjay
04-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Chuck,

I did a quick search and I think the issue with electronic and download came up several times.

when asked about this issue with dowload or CD topic last year you wrote this:
Every one of our information releases regarding the offer to include a free LW [8] upgrade with purchase of a full seat of LW [7.5] or upgrade to LW [7.5] has specified that the free upgrade is electronic. The very first announcement specified that would be by download:

This is the one that stuck in my head as elecronic upgrade and download. you may have ment you where guessing or still not sure at whether electronic was a download yourself but it came across as upgrade is a electronic download.

Proton made this announcement
proton's announcement (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9251&highlight=proton+electronic+lightwave+download)
Chuck's comment (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9885)

So by accident or change in plans the two words got combined.

And as you can see the whole thing was a bit confusing. Anyway I think we should all agree that electronic is a really bad word to use in promotional material for electronic software, because really, download, cd, floppy, zip disk, it's all electronic content.

Elemental233
04-23-2004, 07:40 PM
hey chuck.

any word on how and when the upgrades will be shipping in Canada, British Columbia area. or have thaey already, every thing i read is always about the shipments in the US and the UK.

and if i flew to the Newtek HQ could you give me my upgrade @ the door? i cant wait any longer.. JK

hopicus
04-23-2004, 08:29 PM
So, will we all be getting an email when our copies of LW 8 ship? with tracking info and whatnot?

gjjackson
04-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by hopicus
So, will we all be getting an email when our copies of LW 8 ship? with tracking info and whatnot?

No.

hopicus
04-23-2004, 08:55 PM
what the freak... tell me your kidding, thats ubsurd... how will newtek be able to know that we got our orders if we dont have to sign for them and whatnot?... or does it not matter if the're clueless as to if our lightwave 8s actually get to us? are they sending the upgrades in the regular mail? ( or ups or something) If the cds get lost in the mail... can we simply have newtek send us some new ones? if a tree falls in the woods... and you happen to live in the woods, will the mailguy/gal be able to get over the tree and continue with his/hers LW8 delivering duties...

( must find paper bag to breath into to calm nerves )

prospector
04-23-2004, 09:10 PM
That's why I posted in another thread that it would be wise of Newtek to post a message here (even if it's locked after) to say at least

All backorders have now been shipped

Or something to that effect.

That way we will at least know if something got lost, misshipped, mailman/lady kept it, dog ate it with the mailman/lady, meteor came down on top of delivery truck/jeep.

gjjackson
04-25-2004, 11:55 AM
It's been said that everyone should have their copy by the end of the month. So if you don't have it by April 30th then I would call Newtek then.

BeeVee
04-26-2004, 01:58 AM
Woah there Tex! Who said that? I certainly didn't. Remember also that this is an international forum, so saying things like "everybody" is only going to get people all over the world riled up for nothing. There are a lot of upgrades to process and all the component parts of NewTek are doing their level best to get the thing out there, but remember that the forum doesn't represent the market - it's only a very small subsection. Just because one person in a forum can shout that they have theirs, it doesn't mean that others should demand to know where theirs is... :)

B

Elemental233
04-26-2004, 04:25 AM
good point. but i would love to hear something or any thing about shipments into canada and, any time frame that you guys/gals think or know of would be a great help. even if its just speculation, iv heard nothing, so if any one from newtek could shine a little light on this matter would be greatly appeciated

I bought lightwave 7.5 with the free upgrade about a year ago, now is newtek shipping me my upgrade or is the dealer the i bought Lw from shipping it? . . . . . . ) Studica.ca (:confused:

tanks for your time.

Holy moly Its 3:30Am:eek:

:o

xeno3d
04-26-2004, 03:33 PM
nadda.. zip... zilch today ;)

Chuck
04-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Okay, here's the news - the fulfillment house got all the production done last week and was able to begin packing and shipping - they informed us this afternoon that they should have the majority of the upgrades packed and mailed today and the rest will be packed and mailed tomorrow.

mkiii
04-26-2004, 05:28 PM
And for those in the Old World?

hrgiger
04-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Sweet. So hopefully Lightwave 8 will show up in the next few days for us here in the states at least?

xeno3d
04-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Woohoo! Thanks for the update Chuck :)

HowardM
04-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Sweet. So hopefully Lightwave 8 will show up in the next few days for us here in the states at least?

Thank god! The mob was beating down my door! :)
Actually it will be nice to see what everyone does with the new dynamics, plus I could use more heads to figure this stuff out! ;)

I really hope and think youll get it this week!

WizCraker
04-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Chuck,

Thanks,

If it were not for you communicating to the users we would all be lost in the woods.

siproductions
04-26-2004, 08:42 PM
Yes thanks for taking the time to answer questions Chuck. I appreciate it. And I look forward to LW8 coming soon. Maybe I can give you a hand on the dynamics testing HowardM.:)

nerdyguy227
04-27-2004, 04:03 PM
Would it be next-day shippping?

akota
04-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by BeeVee
Woah there Tex! Who said that? I certainly didn't. Remember also that this is an international forum, so saying things like "everybody" is only going to get people all over the world riled up for nothing. There are a lot of upgrades to process and all the component parts of NewTek are doing their level best to get the thing out there, but remember that the forum doesn't represent the market - it's only a very small subsection. Just because one person in a forum can shout that they have theirs, it doesn't mean that others should demand to know where theirs is... :)

B

I think he may have been referring to the email we got:

"If you have already made a purchase eligible to receive the upgrade when it ships, and you have received your UV Edit Pro bonus or have responded to our address confirmation email, please rest assured that you are already on the list, and can expect to receive your upgrade before the end of the month."

xeno3d
04-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Id say it'd probably be more like 3 or more days. Depending on where you are located of course. :)

Verlon
04-27-2004, 08:41 PM
still no soup for me.....Hopefully tomorrow since that starts my 'weekend' anyway.

xeno3d
04-28-2004, 06:47 AM
Can you tell us Chuck.. was the fullfillment house able to get the remaining orders out the door yesterday? :)

........i'm getting soo excited :)

Xacto
04-28-2004, 07:31 AM
Still no 8 for me as well.

Just wondering... I ordered 8 the very first week.
Should I be concerned?:)

newagetitan
04-28-2004, 08:21 AM
If they were snail mailed Monday and Tuesday, I will not even start watching for it until Thursday.

It was done in bulk Xacto...