PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Article in 3D World Magazine on Lightwave

JohnD
03-19-2003, 12:28 PM
First of all, I just want everyone to know that I am not trying to start trouble with the whole Newtek/Luxology thing. As of today, I have yet to post even one message concerning the topic, because quite simply, it didn't interest me all that much. I saw it as whatever happened, it was for the best for Lightwave. However, after seeing this article title in 3D World, I was just confused I suppose. The title was, and this isn't an exact quote because I didn't buy the zine:

"With the development of Lightwave split between Newtek and Luxology, the future direction of Lightwave seems uncertain."

The only reason I am posting this is because this wasn't just statements thrown back and forth between Newtek and Luxology, but was actually in print. I don't know if Newtek knows about this article and had a hand in it, or doesn't know and needs to lay the smack down on someone.

I am more then confident in Lightwave's future, however, this article did raise my eyebrow.

pixelmonk
03-20-2003, 11:50 AM
that article is old news... it's been yapped about by the conspiracy theorists who talk with the Smoking Guy from the Xfiles on a daily basis. Any news about Lightwave will come directly from Newtek and not some UK based magazine editor.

hrgiger
03-20-2003, 01:48 PM
Not to mention that in my experience, 3D world doesn't have much of a clue other then what people tell them. And who's doing most of the talking. Why yes, that would be the people unhappy about not knowing what's going on with the Newtek/Luxology thing.

Don't get me wrong, I buy 3DWorld, but certainly not for hard facts about anything. It's eye candy.

JohnD
03-20-2003, 02:45 PM
Well, the Border's I went to needs to get on the ball. They had like 8 copies right up in front. I didn't bother to look at the date, which I should have, so I assumed it was the new issue. Did Newtek contact the people at 3D World about this article? This is the first time I've posted about the Luxology/Newtek issue. I haven't really been following it that closely.

hrgiger
03-20-2003, 04:54 PM
John,

I believe that is the newest edition. I think pixelmonk is just referring in general to the subject of Lux/NT which IS deinfately old news and not worth noting. You have the copy that compares 6 different software companies and what it's users would do to change them, yes?

LSlugger
03-21-2003, 05:48 PM
I only skimmed the article, but I did notice that one of the top user requests was to merge Layout and Modeler. I guess that's another topic that's been discussed a few times, eh?

hrgiger
03-21-2003, 10:24 PM
Um, yeah, just a few times. Actually, after reading the article, it almost made me want to merge modeler and layout. Almost.

jin choung
03-22-2003, 03:20 AM
yah,

the magazine is WRONG.

luxology has no official relationship or claim to lw at all. the only people who is developing lw and most importantly, has the RIGHT to develop lightwave is newtek.

that's the word, pass it around.

jin

hrgiger
03-22-2003, 05:42 AM
Did you read the article Jin? It wasn't really about Luxology and Newtek, although it did mention it. I didn't really think it was necessary for them to mention it, just because I'm also very tired of hearing about it also. The article asked users of 6 of the major 3D applications (and I'm glad that Lightwave was one of them) what they would like to change about their software if they could. When I say users, I mean people who use Lightwave in a production environment like Passion Pictures. The 5 other ones to no surprise were 3DMax, XSI, Houdini, Maya, and Cinema 4D. About Lightwave, most users mentioned things like bringing things like MD into the core of the program, merging modeler and layout, advanced deformers, and animating points in layout.
All, I think could be good.

jin choung
03-22-2003, 04:59 PM
yah,

i read the article. but just mentioning luxology with lightwave is simply wrong. they have no official link to newtek. probably flay.com has a more official link to newtek and lightwave than luxology. they've certainly been around longer than luxology.

sure, luxology had somekind of ploy to get control of lightwave but its failed and done.

to mention them now with lightwave's development is simply incorrect and wrong.

jin

mav3rick
03-23-2003, 09:42 AM
Jin bah
whatever......
time will tell ........

hrgiger
03-23-2003, 07:46 PM
And CIM is an expert on programming--oh wait, that's not true. CIM doesn't know Jack Squat.

jin choung
03-23-2003, 08:47 PM
so elaborate mav3rick,

do you think that luxology is developing lightwave?

if so, why don't they say that?

newtek said that luxology has no part in lw's development. are you saying that they're liars?

well, i'd say that luxology is lying... oh wait... sorry... i take that back... they actually aren't say anything at all....

and that's the problem with luxology and luxology cheerleaders... they don't SAY ANYTHING.

unlike this statement that i've made before and make again - luxology has no hand in the development of lightwave - whatsoever.

jin

John Fornasar
03-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Just a point of information - the magazine was last months

I received issue #36 (mail subscription sent over here to the States) last week. It has Gollum on the cover.

JamesCurtis
03-24-2003, 05:34 AM
The only thing that concerns me is that 3D World is read by many people and that anything that's said about the Luxology/Newtek thing simply furthers confusion and could adversely affect sales due to a perceived uncertainty of LW's future.

I know its only a line or two in the mag but it's still there.

pixelmonk
03-24-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
And CIM is an expert on programming--oh wait, that's not true. CIM doesn't know Jack Squat.

He's an expert at whining. He does it on every board. He hates Newtek and Lightwave so much that he loses sleep trying to make sure every board that talks about Lightwave has his troll trots (insert your own word). He has nothing to show for his attempts at using the software. No gallery.. nada. For shame. Have an adequate day, CIM!

pixelmonk
03-24-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by JamesCurtis
The only thing that concerns me is that 3D World is read by many people and that anything that's said about the Luxology/Newtek thing simply furthers confusion and could adversely affect sales due to a perceived uncertainty of LW's future.

I know its only a line or two in the mag but it's still there.

Yup.. it's sad that people with no clue have that much power. Another example is the proper media. :x

hrgiger
03-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Yes, it was unfortunate that they had to mention the Lux/NT story at all. As it is no story. As a magazine publisher, they should take more responsibility and stick to the facts instead of adding to already too much speculation.

JohnD
03-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Yeah, if I never saw the title of the article, I never would have even thought of Lux because the article had nothing to do with it. Kinda of a strange title for a piece that mentioned nothing of the Lux/New thing.

Hervé
03-24-2003, 11:18 PM
Dont listen 3D World, it is a very generic mag, and I stopped buying it a few months ago, I was not learning anything from them, I really did not care about other 3D apps, most tuts could be find on Internet before they even think of publishing it..... and it is very expensive for what it is.....

(just a personal POV):D

hrgiger
03-24-2003, 11:22 PM
I SHOULD stop buying it. Here in the states it's $13.95 and I could care less about the CD that comes with it. I can download demos off the web myself.

jin choung
03-25-2003, 12:14 AM
yah,

but this month, they had a really cool article on tweaking a joint deformation. cool little trick using a -100 applymorph in modeler. pretty simple to understand... possibly the most straightforward process i've seen so far (alas, it is tedious).

jin

hrgiger
03-25-2003, 03:24 PM
No CIM, telling us all how LW is majorly flawed and sucks doesn't really help Newtek at all. Actually, the only way to help the software maker is to produce actual artwork that others see and want to find out what software you used to make it. It's the movie/game studios that help out Newtek by having the name get out there. Not whiners like you. I haven't seen you posting any work in the galleries.

And where are these very useful scripts?