PDA

View Full Version : Subpatch modelling question

forkazoo
04-20-2004, 11:19 PM
Howdy, all. Disclaimer : I really suck at modelling.

I've been trying to suck less by playing around with modeller in my spare time. Tonight, I decided to use bevel and sub patch to make myself a head model. Not really going for anything specific, just a freehand cartoony head. Well, I've gotten myself stuck, and I decided to ask some of you guys for advice.

The current model is very crude. Like I said, it's just an excercise, so I'm not displeased that it looks... far from perfect.

Anyhow, I've got a nose and some eye sockets done. I need to add a mouth. But, I'm not sure how best to add a mouth to the current model. The mouth wants to be at the central vertex right below the nose, and above the cleft in the admittedly mis-shapen chin.

How would you guys go about installing a mouth into this model? Is it just hopeless, and I should start over, or is there a good way to open up that one vertex, and make a mouth, and keep the sub patch happy?

The Guy

Thanks, all!

mkiii
04-21-2004, 02:09 AM
To be honest, I think you are going to have problems developing that shape as it stands, especially around the eyes.

You would do well to take a look at some of the sample heads in the LW content directory to see how they are constructed & try to copy that style.

In addition, there are any number of head tutorials around on the web, flay.com, and possibly even this site? Just get on google & look.

I get the feeling that you might be more comfortable with the box modelling technique, which esentially bevels or smooth shifts in areas like the eyes & mouth, resulting in neat loops of polys around the eyes & mouth.

Meanwhile, I'd siggest giving it a little more detail - at least one more vertical slice through where the ears will be, and try getting rid of points that have more than 4 polys attached.

Sorry, no links - you gotta work for it. ;)

riki
04-21-2004, 05:02 AM
I think there's a few basic concepts that you need to get a grasp of. Check my modeling tuts below.
May help to bring you up to speed.

kevman3d
04-23-2004, 05:05 AM
Hmmm, a few tips from me on this.

Not enough basic starting geometry.
Think 'gaps' between things - For instance, I'd slice a line or two of polys down the middle of the face for a start - This would give you a small gap between the eyes (ie. I'd not recommend having the eyes joined to each other in the center as you've done), as well as some polys to pull the nose out from.

I'd also slice a couple of new lines of polys across the head just below the nose to get some space below the nose, and create a second band of polys where you can think about building a mouth.

Bevel is good for singular polys and subd's
...But I'd also recommend trying the 'SmoothShift' tool - Use this to extend groups of polys as 'one' (sorta like an extrude-type tool for multiple polys) - For instance, a row of polygons across the face for a mouth would be a good place to use this, incombination with other tools like move and stretch.

Drag (Ctrl T) is the tool I use a lot to drag points about and 'mould' the geometry like a clump of clay.

I would recommend looking at some character modelling threads online in various forums and look at how they set out their polygons. Modelling a head from a box is not too hard, and like Riki says, learning a few basic concepts can help you immensely...

Good start, and good to see you taking advantage to use the forums here to get some support and assistance! :)