PDA

View Full Version : First real UV practice. Need help and critiques.

SLAYER
04-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Hi,

Attached are some pics of a model with my first real attempt at UV texturing. This is a small portion of a bigger project. It is the seatback of an Airline coach class seat. Yeah, I know, it's a pretty weird thing to model, but I am trying to make some stuff to show my job that we can do more realistic renders than with CAD alone.

Anyway, I am VERY happy with my results so far as I think I finally got a good grasp of how the UV process works. Finally. Alot of trial and error and learning to manipulate UV's, but now that I know it, it's kind of fun!

Texture was of a blanket that I found online that was yellow and pink and such. I modified the color in Photoshop and made it a tiled texture and created color and bump maps. Came out pretty good I think. How about you? Remember, I am just learning UV's so be nice. Just kidding.

O.K., time for my question. I have this mapped in four maps. Front, rear and two sides. All UV Planar. I have the front, right and rear done. You can see the front and rear in my pics, but the rear is done and flows pretty nice as well. My question is:

Can I duplicate or mirror my right/textured side so I do not have to do the same on the left? If so, How? Do I mirror the UV map?

Thanks in advance

SLAYER
04-20-2004, 11:06 PM
textured test render

mkiii
04-21-2004, 02:26 AM
First of all, if you have a set of polys already UV mapped, and mirror them, to create a new set, the UV map will copied with the new polys, and will remain in place on the UV map, superimposed over the original UVs.

This is useful, and saves you having to bother mirroring the UV.

If you really need to mirror them on the UV map because each side looks different, or if you mapped it from the other side (I assume you did this), then just select the polys, do an unweld, then use Flip UV Point Map & choose the U or V direction. Now just position the flipped UVs where you want them.

Alternatively, you can use Transform UV & set the U or V scale to -100% (minus 100).