PDA

View Full Version : true isometric rendering in layout

lkan
04-20-2004, 07:20 PM
i think it'd be a great addition to add true isometric rendering in layout. it would make rendering iso tile sets for games much much easier.

mkiii
04-21-2004, 02:52 AM
Yes it would be a good, and long awaited thing. I don't see any mention of it in the LW 8 features, and don't have mine yet, so I can't comment.

Meanwhile, see if you can get hold of a copy of the free Cinema4d 6.0 CE that was put on various 3d magazine cover discs a couple of months ago (3d World for example). It may be a little basic, and resolution limited, but it will import LW scenes & objects quite well, and will render various ISO tools.

C4d would make a great LW plugin imo :)

sheidi
04-23-2004, 02:32 AM
Hmm, little OT but because we have been planning to start developing isometric game with my friend I would like to hear more about this. I'm not familiar with these things so anything would be apreciated. We planned to do most of the graphs with prerendered images and I would love to use LW for it, but I have had this terrible feeling that there's going to be some difficulties with this. So far we just agreed to build the engine first and then start testing and seeing how everything turns up.

So if you have any experience with these things or know some nice articles I would be glad to hear 'em...

symphonic-moron
04-25-2004, 01:54 PM
search flay.. i'm pretty sure there is a plugin that does this. or atleast fakes it.

sheidi
04-27-2004, 02:00 AM
Yeah, fake isometric plugin I managed to find, of course trough flay, but also I like to hear more about the whole issue. I know this might be "little" vague, but if there's any articles or similar things floating around net, I would preciate the link there.

jin choung
04-27-2004, 02:40 AM
for the millionth time,

yep, orthographic and zero perspective rendering would be great.

it's NOT in 8 so don't look for it.

and also, to newtek... how frickin' hard could this be?!?!

jin

Karmacop
04-27-2004, 04:17 AM
Well even the orthographic up front left etc viewports in modeler are perspective and not orthographic ....

jin choung
04-27-2004, 04:43 AM
hey karmacop....

ummm... that's insanely wrong!

if it were true, if i made a box 100 meters tall, in the TOP viewport, i would see more than 4 vertices....

as of right now, i don't.

that means zero perspective. that means orthographic.

jin

Matt
04-27-2004, 04:56 AM
Yeah come on! It's about time really isn't it!

Karmacop
04-27-2004, 08:10 AM
I know what perspective is Jin, but I'm very sure I heard that modeler's orthographic views aren't true orthographic, and are just perspective views with very little perspective.

It even has a clipping plane. create a box that is 1m x 2Mm x 1m. When you zoom close enough (which isn't that close) you can actually get the edges to disappear in the top view while still being able to see them in the front and side views.

symphonic-moron
04-27-2004, 09:11 AM
it is anoying sometimes with modeler. when working in a region. zooming in to move some vertexes around. selecting one and lots of points in a totaly different region are selected. same with polies. sometimes hiding stuff can be anoying

wacom
04-27-2004, 10:13 AM
If someone can write and Lscript, like PView (which doesn't ZOOM the camera way out BTW), then I don't see how hard this would be. I'm going to send Worley a request to make it part of FPrime for now...but this really is silly NewTek (such a small thing that could make so many people happy).

jin choung
04-27-2004, 09:25 PM
hey karmacop,

ummmm.... well, if there is a perspective in the 'orthographic views' in modeler and it is IMPOSSIBLE to observe the effects of that perspective...

well, that's fine by me.

seriously, i've created very very tall objects and zoomed in on a single vertex that should lie right on top of a vertex on the 'ground floor' and i've never ever seen two verts visible when it should be one (unless i've actually misplaced a vertex).

so yah, if phenomenalogically, it shows no evidence of perspective, then we're basically quibbling over semantics.

wacom,

if pview does not pull the camera WAAAAaaaaaay back and zooms WAAAAAAaaaaaaay in, i would really like to know how it does what it does.

also, related to what i've said up top, if these psuedo orthographic plugins allowed you to get a render which is not noticeably different from actual orthographic, my complaints would have stopped.... but on some tests that i tried, all of the psuedo orthographic plugins revealed a difference.

jin

p.s. as for clipping plane, an orthographic perspective can absolutely have near and far clipping planes. the view frustrum would be a rectangle or square... wherease the frustrum for a perspective view with clipping planes is a pyramid with the top chopped off.

Karmacop
04-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Well that's what modeler does Jin, it moves the camera really far away and then zooms in.

As far as the clipping plane, sure orthographic can have them, but do it in modeler and it's because the object gets too close to the camera, which is a perspective thing to do.

jin choung
04-27-2004, 10:59 PM
hey karmacop,

well, in effect, it's the same thing so it's no big deal.

but....

didn't you say that you 'heard this somewhere'.... if so... come on man, stop saying things so authoritatively!

i mean really, how do you know if you can't tell from appearances? how do you know that it's because of perspective and not a clipping plane.

i'm not saying i know either... but i'm not saying that it absolutely is one thing or another.

jin

Karmacop
04-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Well ok .. a clipping plane ofcourse is used to clip things you don't want to see. Wish perspective view you need to clip everything behind the camera, otherwise it'll show up infront of everything else, and look really weird. With the modeler views you don't need to clip anything because you want to see everything. Orthagonal views don't need to clip anything as you wont get this weird rendering. So, since it seems to be clipping things when they get too close the the camera, you can presume it's a perpective view, as an orthagonal view wouldn't clip.

As far as where I read it, it was on these boards somewhere by someone that knew what they were talking about.

wacom
04-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by jin choung

wacom,

if pview does not pull the camera WAAAAaaaaaay back and zooms WAAAAAAaaaaaaay in, i would really like to know how it does what it does.

also, related to what i've said up top, if these psuedo orthographic plugins allowed you to get a render which is not noticeably different from actual orthographic, my complaints would have stopped.... but on some tests that i tried, all of the psuedo orthographic plugins revealed a difference.

jin

Pview seems to do exactly what is in your viewport- it matches what you get in modeler viewports, and will do an ortho graphic perspective view as well. It doesn't always work though...but when it does it's good.

If it just zooms way out, well I don't care because it looks JUST LIKE the viewport you select. All you have to do is make sure you have a spare camera named PVRC. It also works with FPrime...

jin choung
04-28-2004, 12:05 AM
karmacop,

nothing that you're saying PROVES that it is perspective. everything that you say that PROBABLY ISN'T may in fact BE....

so let's just admit we don't know for sure... ok?

all i'm saying is that we not affirm anything as fact if we don't know that it is.

jin

p.s. wacom, yah, pview DOES make a camera WAAAAAY out zoomed to what your orthographic view is set to.... last time i checked though, i WAS getting a small difference between the render and a screen grab but when discussing this previously, others did not seem to be having that issue. so it might have been me.

but again, if this works just as if it were an orthogonal render, then we're good to go. (my only contention was the fact that it didn't seem to do exactly the thing i was going for)

François Tarlie
07-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Please, Please, Please !!! what are you waiting for !!!!!!!
How many thread about isometric rendering must to be post for you to make the move !!! You are probably the only software that doesn't allow front, side, top,... rendering, and transform perspective camera to isometric camera !!!

Please tell us, what is your point for waiting so long !!! is any tech guy are really reading this !

Isometric rendering would be so usefull for so manything : architectural for example !
right now I'm working on a plug-in that would bake sasquash (in the fake way)for mirror reflection, and I'm sure I would have better results with isometric rendering.
Anyway if you really need a list of what we could do with this feature, I'm sure we can make a great one.

but please, we won't say it enought, work on it ... please !

Panikos
07-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Every time I notice this request or similar, I see the same people/avatars.
I will join cause its been years that I ask for a non-pinhole camera model :grumpy:

Panikos
08-03-2005, 01:59 AM
It seems that our requests were considered. LW9.0 provides a Camera system with various options.

I wish it will be easy to use, with animatable parameters and compatible with:
- Lens Flare Refraction
- Volumetrics (HV, HD_Instance etc)
- PixelFilters (Sasquatch etc)

:goodluck: