PDA

View Full Version : How can you make a "cookie cutter" type cut in a poly?

blinblue
03-19-2003, 11:55 AM
Well the title says it all, I just want to know how to cut a hole in a poly without having to use the knife tool. For example if you wanting a round cut in a poly, is there any way to do that? Thanks a lot for helping out, as I am sure this is a newbie question (well I am a newbie, so I can ask newbie questions).

Alliante
03-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Just create an object of how you want to cut into your object on another layer, then select your main layer, and show the layer with your 'knife object'. Then press B.

This is called a Boolean subtract. ;)

I'm pretty new at Lightwave as well, but this should get you there.

Look in the manual's index for 'boolean'

stuart_tetley
03-19-2003, 01:41 PM
Another option is a similar approach - put the poly in the foreground layer and the 'cookie cutter' in a background layer.

Then use the drill tool (R key) in 'tunnel' mode.

There are a couple of tricks. You have to specify the axis to drill through (eg. Y axis if you're using top view) and the 'cutter' object should be fairly simple - if it's a 3d object itself, solid drill may work better.

For some reason, the 'boolean subtract' approach just makes the poly go away for me... I'm fairly 'new' with Lightwave as well.

jtoy
03-22-2003, 11:28 PM
After you use the boolean tool you need to merge points (hot key m) .The boolean tool creates excess geometry . Make sure nothing is selected or whats selected will be merged.I'm not sure if you need to do this with the solid drill? Won't hurt to try though.