PDA

View Full Version : SGI Sales Alias for $57.5 Million

WizCraker
04-20-2004, 05:07 PM
http://www.alias.com/eng/press/press_releases/20040415_accel-kkr_to_aquire_alias.shtml

Beamtracer
04-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Fire sale!

If I was SGI, I would get rid of Alias as well. Alias has reached its peak. It's all downhill from here.

WizCraker
04-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Hopefully the new company will run them down in to the ground. Or at least Maya, I kind of like Design Studio.

tokyo drifter
04-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Old news. And don't be haters, doesn't look good on you.

Beamtracer
04-20-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm not a hater. I just think the Maya juggernaut has reached its peak. I think Maya is vulnerable to other companies releasing products that can do it better.

Time will tell. I personally would not invest in either SGI (even though I like that company) or Alias under any other name.

jcool
04-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
I'm not a hater. I just think the Maya juggernaut has reached its peak. I think Maya is vulnerable to other companies releasing products that can do it better.

Time will tell. I personally would not invest in either SGI (even though I like that company) or Alias under any other name.

True, SGI is essentially doomed (at least as design hardware, they may stay alive in servers). Maya however, is great software (and does a number of things better than Lightwave IMO), and as long as they keep developing it I don't see Alias going anywhere. Having more great software is a good thing for everyone, even if you have an irrational attachment to one package, because it promotes heathly competition....

SplineGod
04-20-2004, 10:25 PM
I wouldnt count on it dying away anytime soon. Its got too much momentum and too many supporters. :)

ingo
04-21-2004, 12:24 AM
Well from what i've read they were bought by KKR, they don't have a good reputation for keeping companies alive. If they can milk their cashcow its fine, otherwise goodbye Alias....

Lightwolf
04-21-2004, 02:46 AM
Well, at least Alias made a profit in the last couple of quarters, so I don't see why it should be doomed, except for KKR ripping it to shreds to sell off parts.
I think that currently softimage is the more innovative contender though.

Cheers,
Mike

jamesl
04-21-2004, 03:59 AM
If I was SGI, I would get rid of Alias as well. Alias has reached its peak. It's all downhill from here.

If you were SGI, you'd be looking for anything of value that you still had that you could sell in order to keep yourself afloat. You sound as if Maya was dragging them down. SGI has been looking for a buyer for Alias/Wavefront for over 3 years! Almost from the moment SGI bought Alias, it was obvious that they couln't provide the optimum platform to run it. Now SGI can break away and pretend that their platform is for scientific visualization, while Intel/AMD do the actual heavy lifting for high-end graphics. Oops, forgot to mention Apple... oh well, according to their NAB claims, they've invented HD! (I knew Al Gore was a bad idea for their Board of Directors...)

j

Beamtracer
04-21-2004, 05:22 AM
SGI has always been one of the great computer companies. Now they also have Cray Computers under their umbrella.

SGI has been one of the biggest innovators. That's a rare thing these days, especially when you look at the many dull computer companies that exist these days, churning out generic boxes en mass without innovation.

Unfortunately, now computers have become just another commodity, innovative companies (like SGI) may not necessarily make good investments.

WizCraker
04-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Now they also have Cray Computers under their umbrella.

Actually Cray broke away from SGI a few years back. They are once again an independent company.

MiniFireDragon
04-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Could it not be possible that SGI is/has been developing there own 3d application more suited to there PC's?? Why not by a 3d package strip the code since you own it, alter it and resell the already working package??

Disclaimer: Brain is working on little sleep since Lightwave arrived.