PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Newtek

js33
04-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Hi all,

I would like to thank Newtek for all the hard work on Lightwave 8.
It's been a long time coming. So far it is rock solid. I'm loading and rendering all the content scenes. Cool stuff.

Radiosity and volumetric rendering seem greatly speeded up in 8 from 7.5 and the quality even seems better.

The help file is good. The new registration worked fine.

More to follow. Back to 8.

Edit: The dynamics ROCK. Just wish we had them sooner but I'll take them now.

Cheers,
JS

Meaty
04-20-2004, 06:10 AM
Heya JS, were there any surprises that Newtek didn't mention?

/me waits patiently by the mailbox!!!

lede
04-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Yeah what supprises did NT leave out?

Great to here it is rock solid so far. LW7.5c is driving me nuts crashing when I close it down.

Please keep us posted about how your testing is going. Did they fix the problem with transperant gradient based on surface thickness that crashes when you don't have ray trace transperency turn on?

-Lee

js33
04-21-2004, 01:22 AM
Hi Guys,

I just installed it last night and ran through about half of the content scenes. Plus I've been sick for over a week now so I'm content to just play with the content until my head and throat clear up.

But the rendering does seem faster than 7.5, maybe it's the same as 7.5c, don't know that as I never installed 7.5c.

The dynamics are very welcomed. Now I may not need Maya after all.

The program in general feels more responsive than 7.5. I have loaded and unloaded over 100 scenes so far and not a single crash.

Fprime works fine. All I had to do was copy it and the lic file over from 7.5 and load the plugin.

I still have 7.5 installed and just installed 8 in it's own directory and can still use both programs.

Cheers,
JS

Exper
04-21-2004, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by js33
Radiosity and volumetric rendering seem greatly speeded up in 8 from 7.5 and the quality even seems better.Can you post a couple of examples with times (expecially for volumetrics)?

Thanks! ;)

js33
04-21-2004, 05:02 AM
OK I rendered a couple of scenes from 7.5.

Frame 60 Chimney_All volumetric scene in 7.5 - 4m18s
Frame 60 Chimney_All volumetric scene in 8.0 - 3m24s

But the Raytrace scene was slower in 8?

Raytrace scene in 7.5 2m8sec
Raytrace scene in 8.0 2m26sec

Cheers,
JS

DM67
04-21-2004, 07:24 AM
Hi js33,
With the version 7.5c the speed of rendering in some cases is increased of beyond 50% if confronted with the 7.5.
From the values that you posted it seems that it there is not significant developments in the speed of rendering in 8. :(
The values of the speed of the raytrace worry me because are like to those of 7.5. :mad:
Sole FPrime solution? :confused:

Exper
04-21-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by DM67
From the values that you posted it seems that it there is not significant developments in the speed of rendering in 8.NT has already said many times that 8 will not have much renderer updates!

Renderer is, recently confirmed by Chuck Baker, one of the priority for the next releases.

DM67
04-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Exper
NT has already said many times that 8 will not have much renderer updates!

Renderer is, recently confirmed by Chuck Baker, one of the priority for the next releases.

I had read something on the engine of rendering, however not having still in hand the 8 I hoped in some surprise. :D

P.S. La speranza è l'ultima a morire ;)

Jinxius
04-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Effettivamente la speranza è l'ultima a morire, comunque io aspetto l'uscita ufficiale di lightwave per vedere tutto quello che dovrebbe essere incluso nel pacchetto, anche perchè non avendo LW7.5 a casa, dovrei comprare direttamente la 8 a prezzo pieno...ma prima preferirei essere sicuro che sia la scelta giusta :)
Anche perchè ultimamente i miei fondi scarseggiano :(

Cmq spero che nello studio dove lavoro upgradino quanto prima le macchine con LW 7.5c alla 8.

English Translation :

Hope is really the last one that dies, however I'm waiting the official release of LW 8 to see all the things were included in the package, this almost because not having LW7.5 at home, I would have to buy the 8 one at full price....and I prefer to be sure that this would be the right choice :)
That's because lately I lack a bit of personal funds :(

Anyway I hope that in the animation studio where I work they will upgrade all the LW 7.5c machines to new 8 ones.

Jinxius.