PDA

View Full Version : Question about boolean subtract HELP

swolfe
03-19-2003, 10:48 AM
I'm using LW 7 to do a tutorial out of a book for LW 5.6 I don't consider myself a total newbe but I'm not as good as i want to be and probably never will be I'm very critical of my own work which can be a good thing and also very bad because it seems you never get anything done!

Here is the problem there is a tutorial of a castle in the book and I think it is really cool and I want to get it done. I'm trying to cut doorways in with subtract, the cutter shape is an arched shape the way doors looked back then what ever I do to subtract this I keep gettingthe error

INTERNAL BUFFERS TO SMALL FOR REQUESTED OPERATION

I have run into this quite a bit. I have tried moving cutter a little, I have shut down LW and restarted have rebooted, anything to clear memory,

I have a dell 1.8 gig
128 meg memory ( need more)
ATI 32meg video card (also needs upgrading)

even though memory and video card not so hot I don't think that is the problem. I have searched the forum and tried everything suggested so any help would be great so I can continue this to the end!!! I'm thinking of switching programs to somthing that might not be so touchy but I really like and know LW and don't want to have to go through the learning curve of a new program

thanks
Scott wolfe

mattclary
03-19-2003, 11:27 AM
Ahhhhhh yes, the castle! I had some difficulties with booleans on this too. In every case, it was one or two polygons that were causing the problem. What I did was move the affected geometry (cutter and cuttee) to new layers to make things clearer. I then started deleting polys until the operation would work. Once I determined the problem poly, I would adjust the geometry or compensate in other ways. I say "delete", I kept a backup of the original geometry. It's like any other problem, to figure out the cause, you have to break it into pieces to figure out which piece is actually causing the problem.

swolfe
03-19-2003, 11:43 AM
My problem is with the first door you cut into the main castle the one that faces into the courtyard. I have cut that wall out and put it into another layer and tried cutting it still get the same error.

any more help anyone can give would be great!!!!

Thanks

mattclary
03-19-2003, 11:49 AM
Did you bevel the base of the castle? How about posting a screenshot of what you are trying to boolean. E-mail me your object, and I will see if I can find any problems.

Epita
03-19-2003, 03:37 PM
give me your model on a disk, an i can knock huge holes into it. Or the LWO file and ill see if a proper machine can just process around it (or make a new section of wall, and boollean that)

Epita