PDA

View Full Version : spin quads? what does it do

malikai666
03-19-2003, 11:16 AM
someone told me that spin quads (cntrl K) is a very valuable modeling tool, but when I do it it seems like it just deletes my polys, What exactly does it do and how do u use it?

malikai666
03-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Ok Im stupid I was hitting command K instaed of control K, but Id still like an explanation of how it works.

Ari Danesh
03-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Spin-Quads is your friend. Imagine you are building a human torso using Sub-Divisions. The topology of your quads runs either horizotally or vertically. If you do not believe me do a band-saw and see how your new geometry is oriented. Fortunately the human torso is not as boring as a x-y grid. Take the abdominal muscles, they are oriented more like a long oval. By using Spin-Quads in strategic locations i can change the topology of the stomach area from a x-y grid to an oval very easily. Now when you band-saw the spin-qauded area you will see your new geometry shaped like an oval and not a grid. This has two benefits. 1. when you smooth-shift/scale the stomach it helps define the shape of the stomach and 2. The added geometry is localized to the stomach area where it is needed and not propogated to the rest of the torso.

Hope that helps,

Ari

riki
03-20-2003, 04:45 PM
I have a visual example on this page http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/page07.htm

Just scroll down a bit

jasonwestmas
03-20-2003, 08:54 PM
When Modeling you will sometimes encounter a misalignment in the direction which the polygons flow together. If you can imagine in subpatch mode the grid of quads that is stretched to create a form. If in the smooth shade view you notice a not so smooth attachment of one poly to another; a sharp angle in the poly direction rather than a smooth 'S' shape. This sharp angle in poly direction will often create an abonomality, crease or bump. You can often fix this by just moving the polygons and points but sometimes the harsh alignment of the polys come from welding polygons together in which case the longer or shorter sides of the polygons usually don't match up with the other polys because they are of a different proportion. For example: If you are trying to sew a thumb to a human hand, unless you have amazing foresight the polygon proportions are probably not going to be able to match up perfectly lengthwise because it was created separately from the hand. If you use the spin quads option the software will match up the selected polygons and the sides will be rotated in different possible positions to choose from. If you're lucky it the polys will fit together perfectly with a couple clicks of this tool. If not, you may have to move the points and polys around a little more but the idea is to keep the points and polys as uniform as possible so that you have a smooth render in the end.
Hope this Helps
JP Westmas;)