Zarathustra
04-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Wow, where'd you find that NBC promo?

tjacobs
04-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Wow. Awesome recreation.

somnambulance
04-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Nice work! The only thing I dont like (it may be a splinter under your fingernail), is that camera movement in the very first scene - right when the ships fly over. It would probably be okay if it were a bit later, but that is the first shot... first impression. The rest of your camera movement is great! Again, nice work!

protogenes
04-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by somnambulance
Nice work! The only thing I dont like (it may be a splinter under your fingernail), is that camera movement in the very first scene - right when the ships fly over. It would probably be okay if it were a bit later, but that is the first shot... first impression. The rest of your camera movement is great! Again, nice work!

Agreed. It was taking so long to render (as this was not the first version), that I let it go...perhaps I'll do a Lucas and have an "extended edition" later on...

3dster
04-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Wow:

The render of the bridge and ship interior is tremendous. Is there more to come and what kind of render times did you encounter. Did you make the models if so on what did you base it. Details man. I'm a Doctor not a mindreader.

Thanks
3Dster

protogenes
04-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by 3dster
Wow:

The render of the bridge and ship interior is tremendous. Is there more to come and what kind of render times did you encounter. Did you make the models if so on what did you base it. Details man. I'm a Doctor not a mindreader.

Thanks
3Dster

Thank you

I hope to add to it later, but yes the render times were a problem. The hallway took 2 days (Mac G4 733, 650 ram), bridge about 17 hrs...

I did make the interiors (used images from the show, and an old book called the Star Fleet Technical Manual), but the ships I found online.

paulk
04-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Paramount's lawyers are probably foaming at the mouth, it's that GOOD!!! I'm not sure if they'd sue you or hire you.

The only (extremey minor) nit I would pick is the cast credits at the beginnning of the show were in the same font as the "Star Trek" title.

At least now we have an idea what the fourth season would have been like!

kurt_kober
04-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Nice! I think the interiors came out especially well. You may be interested in http://www.5yearmission.com where some fans are producing their own "fourth season" of Star Trek TOS. It's goofy but kinda neat--and the SFX are very nicely done in Lightwave. Not in widescreen, though... ; )

RAZ
04-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Excellent...very good...just like the real thing.

Scott Gammans
04-22-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by RAZ
Excellent...very good...just like the real thing. Time to leave it now as a fond memory and move on. Why? The current incarnation of Star Trek is all but on death's door. The whole genre (with the the significant exception of the recent Battlestar Galactica reimagining) is stale and in dire need of freshening. What's wrong with looking to the past to discover the future?

RAZ
04-23-2004, 02:07 AM
What a great show.

EchoStation3TA
04-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Raz, you sure have a weird way of writing about people's work.

Regardless of whether or not ST:TOS is Oscar worthy, it's an awesome show and one I watched with my dad.

This work is amazing and it took me back to all the episodes I loved. It's great animation and the sound really takes us back to the atmosphere of the original show. YOu really believed you were in the Engine Room, or on the Birdge.

Kudos man, I hope to see more.

As for Raz's comment of leaving it be and moving on, the success of the DVDs and the upcoming release by season of the show differ with enough money to make your plea rather moot.

We like it. If you have problems with the show, don't use that as an excuse to take someone's animation and tell them what they should or shouldn't do.

Rich

igorstshirts
04-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Straight up. I'm not a Trek fan but your widescreen movie was way good.

RAZ
04-27-2004, 07:32 AM
I've edited my posts because they really were rude and wrong. What a great, great, great show.

Zarathustra
04-27-2004, 08:32 AM
sounds like someone had a talkin' too

RAZ
04-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Thankyou for your help.

Zarathustra
04-27-2004, 09:09 AM
LOL:D

RAZ
04-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Thankyou.

MacDoggie
04-28-2004, 01:12 PM
I agree great job. I am not necessarily a trek fan but this is really nice and you did it on a 733 G4 Mac with 650 megs of ram??? Even more impressive.

Wait till the new G5 Dual 3 gigs come out this will really open some doors for you. My saecondary machine is a 733 MHZ with 1 .5 gigs of ram. Compared to my dual 1 gig G4 ithere is a noticable difference in performance.

Once again, great job keep it up!

wizzi
04-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Great!
What a good idea of taking something from the past. And star trek in william's time was something astonishing! This could be the right way to go forward. Not by doing more films full of effects and stuff that make you feel akward but looking back. The color themes of old star trek are just fascinating. And the design, those golden moments!

At the beginning when camera is tracking a fly by spaceship the movement isn't smooth. That is the only thing I can say bad about...