PDA

View Full Version : making ground blend into background

byronpetch
04-19-2004, 06:08 AM
Hi,

Ive created an outside scene of a house in a country landcsape with some shallow hills in the distant background. Ive created a large textured disc for the ground and a large hemisphere with the sky a hill horizon mapped on to it for the sky and distant hills. The problem im having is the harsh line where the ground meets the hemisphere. Does anybody know of a good way to blend the two together?

I suppose in an ideal situation I would want to create a fog using the hemisphere map as colours so that I could loose the hard edge.

If this doesn't make sense let me know.

many thanks

Matt P

mkiii
04-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Well fog is of course one answer, the other is to carefully colour match the two parts so there is less of a sudden transition.

Next, you could try a gentle curve on one or both of the objects so they don't meet at right angles, in the same way that a photographer uses a curved backdrop behind a portrait poser.

You could also add a fallof so that the sky / hill texture fades to transparent, or into another layer that uses the ground texture.

You could use a gradient, normal texture falloff, or an alpha map for this.

On the other hand, you could just paint the ground texture over the bottom part of the skydome.

...or.... you could add a couple of rings of fake hills inbetween the 2 parts.

Last, but not least, try using a single object instead of 2 - you could just flatten the bottom half of a sphere to make the ground part.

byronpetch
04-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that. Actualy just as I got notifacation of your post i was trying fading the edge of the disc to transparent using a greyscale map. Seems to work ok.

Thanks again

Matt