PDA

View Full Version : Rust shader

Lightrocker
03-19-2003, 09:09 AM
Hi,

a colleague uses the Rust Shader of "Lightwave 5.6". Is there any comparable alternative for "Lightwave 7"? He has to use the uv-features of those.

Thanks!

Skonk
03-19-2003, 10:16 AM
The rust shader is still there in 7

Lightrocker
03-20-2003, 02:10 PM
My colleague sayd, that he has got the original "Lightwave 7" and there is no rust shader in there. He can activate the shader from version 5.6, but cannot open the properties page. So he is not able to change the settings. Is there anyway to enable it?

Freak
03-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Actually they were removed!

Along with about 1000 cool features, they were removed from LW 6.0 and above.

It was part of the Natural Shaders plugin from 5.5+

You can load your 5.6 scene in LW 6+ and it should render as normal, as long as you have your legacy plugins installed.
But you can't get the interface from the Natural shaders.

Gradients are your best bet for doing similar stuff in LW 6.0+

fletch
03-20-2003, 03:39 PM
Hi LightRocker,

You can find the plugin in your Legacy folder in Layout. Hope this helps!:D

Skonk
03-20-2003, 03:58 PM
Actually, did Rust and Snow have an interface? if they did then i was wrong cos like fletch said they are legacy plugins now and have no interface, so u can render old scenes that use it but u cant mess with the settings of create new scenes with it.

James..

Skonk
03-20-2003, 04:01 PM
Just to add, i assume they were removed due to the fact that u can do the same effect with gradients, and have a lot more control over it :)

James..

faulknermano
03-20-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by SpankDaddy
Just to add, i assume they were removed due to the fact that u can do the same effect with gradients, and have a lot more control over it :)

James..

maybe they you could.. but if memory serves, the natural shaders had control based on a parameter that was called something like 'polygon slope', which is almost the same as the slope we have now, except that it was measuring not the global slope (based on lightwave space) but it's relationship with the surrounding polys. it something like a smoothing angle. i think that's KEY feature that makes gradients less than the natural shaders.

besides, i dont see why taking out something so successful is good, even if you could do it using another tool. oh well...

geoff3dnz
03-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Just for fun, here's the rust shader interface:

geoff3dnz
03-20-2003, 08:47 PM
LOL!