PDA

View Full Version : building a puppet

drcoffee
04-18-2004, 06:44 AM
Hello, I would be very grateful if anyone could help me.

I want to build a puppet, basically to act like a real marionette puppet. I want it to be controlled by 3 or 4 strings from above, these controlling all of its movement, I want the puppet to collide with the floor of the stage, as can be seen in the picture, and to sway and act under gravity like real puppets.

I know how to rig up characters, but Iím not to knowledgeable on gravity and collision and not even sure if this would be the way to do it.

If anyone could help or guide me in the right direction, I would be most grateful

Jon

Dodgy
04-18-2004, 02:30 PM
I've done a little test scene with motion designer, try it and see what you think. It doesn't do self collision, because the inner struts make self collision explode the object but it's along the lines you're looking for. LW 8 with it's hard body dynamics should make this stuff even easier....

Remember to press Start on the motion designer browser panel to get the simulation running.

drcoffee
04-19-2004, 01:18 AM
many thanks Dodgy,
works a treat for what i want. You have resolved my motion designer probs

thanks again
jon

not sure how you build the internal polygons tho?

are there rules for the positioning of strings?

and i want my puppets body to to be more complex, possibly sub patched,

is it just a case of trail and error?

Dodgy
04-19-2004, 03:01 AM
The internal polys are just like internal struts, to help give it some solidity, some strength, stop the boxes flattening.

If you want then to be subpatched, you just save the .mdd file from the low poly object, then replace it in the scene with the high poly object, and apply mdmeta plug to the high object. Thi allows you to load the .mdd and use it.

hunter
04-19-2004, 01:50 PM
You can also use a lowres ribbon like object (flat) for the md calculation and then use mdmetaplug to apply that to your 3d (non-flat) object and it will hold it's volume. No need for internal poly's.