PDA

View Full Version : Polygon Strangeness

novalism
04-18-2004, 03:57 AM
hello

I have a problem concerning polygons
So

I have a shape ... I press "tab"
and all gets smooth .. except for some polygons ... the ones that have 3or 5 points.

Ok so far ... I make them all quads so go back to "Subpatch-mode " to look again ... I see that those polygons are ok now ... but The polygons next to the ones I just fixed are "screwed up" now

I kno it sounds strange but when I look at the polygon info... (pressing i) I notice it says 6 points! and I only see 4 !

http://www.novalism.com/1.jpg

Im confused perhaps the technique that I use ain't good.
I always try to make quads ... so if I have 2 tri's I merge them ... but than I see that the merged tri are sometimes 5 pointed?!

when I manually delete that polygon than, and I remake it it's a 4 point :confused:

What do I do wrong? this can't be the best way.
It seems like lightwave can't count anymore :(

ingo
04-18-2004, 04:45 AM
Have you done merge points ? This could maybe help.

novalism
04-18-2004, 05:10 AM
how could that help?

When I'm in point mode and I draw some an "elipse" around the "4" points of that polygon it says buttom left : 4 points! selected

SO there are 4 points ... but the poly says 6 :confused:

also
If i have an poly with 5 points ... and I want to make a sixt point on it ... so that it's a six pointed polygon ... what is the best way? ... addpoints doesn't put that point on the selected poly

tnx in advance to all

digimassa
04-18-2004, 05:32 AM
:cool:
maybe you should have a short look into manual, creating polygons is very basic knowledge^^.
If you dont find your manual, you can download at NT.

evenflcw
04-18-2004, 08:01 AM
When you lasso select the points what viewmode are you in? Unless your in wireframe mode you might still be missing some points because of backface culling. In wireframe mode you'll be able to see points more clearly aswell.

Addpoints is kinda cumbersome, but should ofcourse work. If you wish to create and add a brand new point to some polygon(s), then select the polygons and click directly on one of their edges. You cannot click just anywere. (Sorry for stating the obvious).

And if you wish to add already existing point(s) to some polygon(s), you need to select both the polygon(s) and the point(s). Then click the edge(s) you want the points added to.

If this doesn't work perhaps you have a GFXcard problem. They can apparently manifest themselves in mysterious ways.

riki
04-18-2004, 09:24 AM
Some times an object might look like a quad or a triangle, but it could have some hidden points along one of the sides. I sometimes increase the size of the Points to make them easier to see. Check display options panel.

novalism
04-18-2004, 02:22 PM
hmm thx for the many responses

I actually was in wireframe mode, but I've changed the point size ... like riki suggested.

I started all over again and I don't have the problem anymore, must have overlooked the points (altought I zoomed in max and "selected them with an elipse")
anyway

problem solved
tnx for the help guys

JackDeL
04-18-2004, 05:59 PM
Keep in mind that subpatch only works with three or four sided polys. If you cannot see the "extra" points it is likely because they occupy the same space. a merge command is usually the first thing that I do to get rid of them. Also be aware that if you delete a problem polygon very often it will leave its points behind and if you don't be careful you will end up with scads of extra points all over the place. ;)