PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave BOOKS?

Peter Simmons
04-17-2004, 07:32 PM
I am a recent newcomer to lightwave and am currently lost in its complexity. So I am wondering if any experienced lightwavers could direct me to any books that they found highly useful when they started out. I think I would learn far better with walk though tutorials than heavy text explanations if you know what I mean. I need something that starts at the begining of the learning curve. Also I have a free upgrade to lightwave 8 in the post so should I wait for updated books to arrive that cover eight or should I get cracking with 7. I've noticed books that already cover 8 but as 8 is not out yet I don't expect any of you to know if any are good. I would be very grateful for any advice, Cheers!

gjjackson
04-17-2004, 08:05 PM
If you want tutorials there are plenty on the web.

Go to this page and check out the Introductions. There should be some good very basic tutorials there. There use to be some videos detailing the very basics. I'm not sure if they are here or not.

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

http://www.3dbuzz.com/
You'll need to set up an account and login. Then you can access the downloads. In the dowloads for Lightwave there are a number of VTM's that go from the beginning. I noticed there is an Issue 2 now which looks to be a project tutorial. Guess I'll have to download it and see what it's like.

Barred
04-18-2004, 03:36 AM
If you are looking for books that are readable and do not feel like textbooks I would sugest having a look at :-

Inside Lightwave
Dan Ablan

Dans' books are all worth getting hold of as they are well written and will take you to a defined point (the end of a project) and explain why.

Lightwave 3D 7.5 Lighting
Nicholas Boughen

Nicholas's book is not just a how to style of book, but a have you noticed? LW 3D Lighting is written in a light thoughtful way that would be applicable to any style of art not just Lightwave.

Neither of these authors just give you a how a tool works like the manual which is worth reading through even thoug it is a bit on the dry side of reading.

Peter Simmons
04-27-2004, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the help

Andyjaggy
04-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Inside Lightwave is excellant, I also really like Essential Lightwave