PDA

View Full Version : Novice Question

mjroddy
04-17-2004, 02:58 PM
I have a shortish animation that eventually has a jet flyover. Problem is that I don't want the jet to be calculated until it is seen by the camera. How to I keep it off the stage until the frame I want it to start. Right now, I have it off-camera until the frame I want it to begin, then the next frame it's on camera (well, on it's flight path), but that seems to slow things down. If I could keep it gone until the frame necessary, it seems like that would be good.
I tried the Scene Editor, but that didn't seem to do the trick. I don't know where to look this kind of thing up in the manual.
Any help would be appreciated.

RomainR
04-17-2004, 03:28 PM
You could split the scene in two.

make one without the plane and make one with just the plane.

then composite the two renders.

gjjackson
04-17-2004, 07:55 PM
If I'm thinking right, just keyframe the object at Frame 1 and then again at the Frame you want it to start. This should keep it in place until that second Keyframe.

mjroddy
04-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Best case, I'll have to use the composite technique. The problem isn't keeping the object out of frame, I would simply like it to not-be-on-the-stage untill I want to see it. On an OLD program that I used to use, I would just tell it to be non-existant until frame xxx. That way things only were on the stage during the time they were on frame.
Thanks again, though! -mjr

Aegis
04-18-2004, 04:13 PM
You can use "Dissolve" under object properties/render to make an item invisible until you want it to appear.

emoboy83
04-19-2004, 10:50 PM
on a related topic. when having a very complex object of say 50000 polys which is completly dissolved does this slow renders down

SplineGod
04-21-2004, 01:26 AM
gjjackson is completely correct.
Lets say that you want the jet to start coming into frame 3 seconds after the animation starts.
You key frame it at 0 out of frame and at frame 90 in the same spot. Make sure to adjust the TENSION at both keyframes.
Say you want the plane to fly across frame in 3 seconds.
You go to frame 120, move the plane to where you want it to end up and keyframe it again. Thats it. :)

mjroddy
04-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Aye, this is what I did.
But it seemed that having the jet (I had 3, actually) in the LW world significantly slowed down the rendering process, as each map was calculated and - well, I don't know how much else it slowed things down. Guess I could do some test renders with: 0 Jets; 1 Jet; 2 Jets, etc.
But the anim's done now using the Keep It Out Of Frame method.
This method works, of course, I just wish I could keep the stage/world clean until the object is needed.
Thanks for the suggestions and replies! They're much appreciated.

Mylenium
04-22-2004, 11:36 AM
So why don't you use object replacement? The Object List plugin should be just what you need. It does not work with Nulls so you would need a Dummy box or something and use dissolve as well, but it should significantly speed things up while your objects are not needed/ off stage. As for your slowdown - I would think your scene uses reflections and refractions. This will cause LW to evaluate rays even for objects that are not directly visible in the camera (they could still be seen on some reflective surface). Also LW does not really handle massive images very well, so you may want to check your textures.

Mylenium