PDA

View Full Version : bad modeller window behavior

eblu
03-19-2003, 07:52 AM
is anyone else experiencing a problem with the modeller window?
when i click on the window it does not become the front most window, but it does become the key window. The only way i can Get modeller window to jump to the front is to click on the moddeller icon in the dock.
this is bad behavior, and quite annoying. It is also more difficult to setup in os X than the correct behavior.

mlinde
03-19-2003, 09:59 AM
I have seen issues like this with many applications (although not specifically modeler). It's a problem with OS X, not Modeler.

sorry...

eblu
03-19-2003, 11:55 AM
mlinde,
i have seen some wierd behavior from upgrading to 10.2.4 but this problem is older than 10.2.4. i beleive that this issue is a LW modeller bug, but i'm willing to credit the possibility that its not.
so...
ok then, lets compare:
i only have this problem with modeller, what apps do u have this problem with?

other programs i use, that do not have this particular issue on my system:
Lightwave layout
Photoshop
illustrator
freehand
final cut pro
after effects
mail, safari, etc...
imovie
commotion pro
a few homebrew utilities
numerous text editors and the like
project builder
IE netscape omniweb etc...
bbedit
appleworks

basically everything but modeller will pop its window to the frontmost layer when it is clicked. Perhaps its bc i use the little numeric, weightmap, and layer windows too. I'll look into that.

eblu
03-19-2003, 11:57 AM
aha!
its the openGL panes!
u click in them and get the improper behavior!
definite modeller bug.

eblu
03-19-2003, 12:00 PM
ok, the behavior is not as predictable as i thought...

the extra windows ave some effect, and so does clicking in the OpenGL pane, but it is certainly not universally repeatable.

eblu
03-19-2003, 02:01 PM
i'm about to backtrack and walk all over one of my earlier opinions:
that LW wouldn't benefit from cocoa.

the issue i am experiencing, whether its just on my system or not, is a bug in LW, caused by a lack of understanding at newtek, of the window layering system of Os X. Including and not limited to: the layering of application windows, hiding/showing utility wndows, the layering of said utility windows, and the darned resize widget.
In carbon you have to explicitly code all the little behaviors, of your windows. It was not done properly by Newtek (period). So the behavior is going to get more and more wacky, with the updates to os 10.
In cocoa, this behavior is already coded properly for you for free, and if they change or update it... then your app goes along for the ride for free.

going from carbon to cocoa is a pretty drastic change, and for a cross platform product like LW, not to be taken lightly. But the benefits are looking better all the time... lets take a look at them:

less coding.
less need for research.
modularity/ the ability to mix and match cocoa and carbon as needed.
less time spent on the things that have little or no bearing on what LW does, but in the end are deal breakers.

i would like to make an open suggestion to the mac programmers at newtek...
go get the apple dev tools, and do a couple of the openGl cocoa tutes. you'll most likely learn 90% of what you need to know to get LW into a cocoa window in one session. a good chunk of it is done in interface builder, which is a swell tool.
You guys dont "get" windowing on the mac, so let someone else do it.