PDA

View Full Version : Depth of Field -- Digital Confusion

chilledaqua
04-16-2004, 06:51 PM
I notice that when I enable Adaptive AA to low while i use Digital Confusion, I get this horrible patchy background behind the figure ground. It looks as if it's even cartoon shaded. Is there anything out there that has a better DOF. For instance I notice that profesional cameras give this octagonal or hexagonal overtone to the bright spots in the background. I am also aware that there is a commercial plugin that does DOF more accurately.

The only thing that i'm really having trouble with is that i can't use antialiasing with the results i'm seeing, and the render time is too long when I don't use adaptive AA. What are some of my options. I haven't really used DOF in my renderings and I'm wanting to give it a try. It adds that much more professionality to an animation. Even in TV shows it's easy to tell if it's low budget -- if the camera has just a fixed unlimited focus like some of the cheep spanish soap oparas. Any suggestions would be awesome.

digimassa
04-17-2004, 12:48 AM
:cool:
I use DOF from DFX, its quick and easy to use^^

chilledaqua
04-17-2004, 02:27 PM
that's cool, do you have to render out a z-buffer to do that and then connect that to a node in DFX? also are there any other alternative without using DFX or a separate software... can you do AA with DOF so that there is good results, or has anyone tweeked their settings for good results out of the package. DOF without AA is bearable because the background is blurred anyway but the focal point doesn't have AA. I was thinking if it was possible to run the DOF filter and then a post process AA after. that i think would be the best choice.

lightwaveman200
04-18-2004, 02:01 AM
Is there any tutorial about DOF in Digital Fusion?
should I enable antialiasing in LW or not?
Also I'm interested to know which layers of RPF format can be manipulated with Digital Fusion.

digimassa
04-18-2004, 02:06 AM
Best you give it a try, render this RPF ( not RLA! ) from LW and bring the sequence to DFX, you can applie DOF very easy by clicking the point where you want the hyperfocus and adjusting some parameters like depht of field, blur amount. I use AA in LW, Ididnt find a good post process tool for that, but I think you can render z-buffer without AA, its somewhere hidden, have a look into your manual. For me it works fine in the way I showed, AA in LW and DOF in DFX.

lightwaveman200
04-18-2004, 02:25 AM
How can I keep my character in focus when using DOF in Digital Fusion?
Is it possible to use the camera motion path to control focal point?

thanks alot.

digimassa
04-18-2004, 02:51 AM
Dunno if you can use the camera path, but you set hyperfocus by clicking the point you want and you can easily animate it over time, just try it^^

lightwaveman200
04-18-2004, 03:01 AM
I was thinking about it, but I thought that it would be nice to use camera motion.
I'm alittle lazy.;)