PDA

View Full Version : HD storage

Rich Deustachio
04-16-2004, 05:11 PM
I read in TV Technology Magazine that the new AVID Nitris 145,000 (WOW second mortgage) will play 2 streams of uncompress HD in real time. The storage for the system is 12 173gig Ultra SCSI drives which will only hold two hours of uncompressed HD.

Us long form guys will need to spend big bucks on hard drive arrays to work in uncompressed HD. It's gonna be interesting.

ted
04-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Rich, you got that right. And we all complain about the cost of back-up systems now!
This is one reason I'm really interested in wavelet or some other form of compression that will not lose the benefit of HD.

It's also why I feel obligated to read all the trade mags monthly and attend functions like NAB.
We've got some tough decisions in the near future my friend.

Your information is a big reason I stayed away from AVID. Not to mention I didn't like their customer service. Unless you pay them dearly, yearly, they won't even talk to you.
You would think for that kind of money, they would throw in a few drinks, some conversation and even dinner!:p

ScorpioProd
04-17-2004, 12:23 AM
I've also been hearing lots of good things about wavelet gently compressed HD as an HD or an HD intermediate format for editing.

Compression doesn't suck when it is gentle and lets us do things we couldn't otherwise.

ted
04-17-2004, 01:57 PM
I used wavelet on my "other system" for 5 years and never had anyone question the quality.
The only time you run into problems is when you take video and re-render it. Even then you could easily get by with a pass or two before you would have any artifacts.

Wavelet only used 1/5 of the storage and allowed me to capture more pad, and have more backup storage without killing the bank account.

I'm all for uncompressed, but SCSI drives of practical size are still expensive.

David Curle
04-19-2004, 02:54 AM
Have you guys looked at the 3Ware Escalade controller-It ha patented technology that nobody can copy-the data rates are way up there - even using raid 5. It is the only real alternative to SCSI. If fast seek time are required then 12 x WD 74GB raptors will give Phenominal results, at an afordable price.
We are using 12 x 250Gb WD drives in our video servers in out television station. The secret, as with toaster, is to make sure you have slots that are 64 bit and for the 8506 it should also be 66Mhz.

David Curle
04-19-2004, 02:57 AM
I should have posted an URL:
www.3ware.com