PDA

View Full Version : Question about Solidworks

mattclary
04-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Does anyone here use Solidworks? I heard that is uses an unusual extension structure of 6 digits. Is this correct? I'm assuming this means it has file names like xxxxx.yyyyyy

Can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

omeone
04-16-2004, 02:17 PM
If I remember right, yes it does for some of it's filetypes. *.sldprt seems to ring a bell, Matt Gorner uses it in his pipeline afaik. The last version I used was 2000, but it was already a pretty awesome app by then.
Would a 6 digit file extension make any difference anymore?

mattclary
04-16-2004, 03:16 PM
I work for a software company that writes document management software. We have a cutomer who wants to use Solidworks with our product and 6 digit extensions may be problematic.

Thanks for the info!

ghopper
04-16-2004, 04:20 PM
I think I've read somewhere Solidworks uses something like .SLDDRW and .SLDASM. But I suppose you can manually alter the file extension ( just remove SLD ).

Obviously by using a 3 character file extension you would also need to change your file associations or open the file from within Solidworks rather than double clicking the file.

SLAYER
04-16-2004, 05:01 PM
I use SolidWorks professionally for my job.

Attached is a pic from my home copy which is licensed to my Work place.

You can see in the "Files of type" field that the above mentioned files from other people are correct. These are the default Solidworks extensions for part, assembly and drawing. Assembly is the only one with six letters.

mattclary
04-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks, Slayer! Excellent info!