PDA

View Full Version : RAID in a BOXX?

Tom Wood
03-19-2003, 07:35 AM
I sent the following to BOXX and have not yet received an response, but I'd like to ask the more general question here. Can a single SCSI support VT? Can you mix IDE and SCSI drives in the way I am suggesting below? Since SCSI drives cost so much, I am thinking that I could get by with a smaller SCSI drive for the actual work in progress and then save the finished work to the IDE drive, clearing the SCSI drive for the next segment of work.

Hello,

I'm putting together a workstation for Lightwave 7.5 and Video Toaster (VT) for an upcoming 3D project. I notice that Newtek recommends SCSI drives for VT and that your 3DBOXX has at most four drives. I want a redundant data RAID system but I don't see how to get there with only four drives - 1 for the system, 2 striped for data, leaves only one more available drive. Or will a single SCSI be fast enough for rendering and VT? If so, can I use an IDE drive for the system, another IDE to mirror the system, a SCSI for data, and another SCSI to mirror the data, all in the same box? Am I missing something here or do I need to consider an alternate solution like MEDEA?

Thanks,

Tom Wood

ditto

irfan
03-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Can you please specify the model (preferably with a working link to a webpage with specs on that model).

I'd like to help but I need more info.

In general, you can use whatever disk subsytem you fancy on a Toaster system. A slow disk subsystem will limit your ability to play/manipulate multiple streams of data. Tradeoffs abound.

What uses will you have for your toaster machine? Editing/Live Switching? If editing, how many layers would you want to work with. If live, would you need to use DDR(s)?

Please explain in as much detail as possible and preferably in multiple paragraphs (makes it easier to read your post and in turn easier to help you).

Irfan

Tom Wood
03-20-2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks irfan,

I will be working in Lightwave 7.5 to create short projects (less than 30 minutes) with perhaps Messiah and Magpie for animation and lipsynch.

Here is the link to the configuration page for the BOXX S5s model.

http://www.boxxtech.com/Asp/cf_step2.asp?ModelInstanceID=127

As you can see, it can be configured a variety of ways. I was going to go with the dual 2.4 GHz Intel Xeons and maybe add another gig of RAM. But then the question of hard drive choices comes up.

I want full backup on both data and the system, mainly because I just lost a hard drive on my current computer and it was a mess getting back up and running. I can live with just under an hour of uncompressed storage space at this time, so a 73 gig SCSI drive will do for the data. I will only be using toaster to edit 3D scenes from Lightwave.

According to BOXX, the IDE and SCSI drives can be mixed since the S5s includes drivers for both. So I was thinking about two 73 SCSI drives for data and mirror backup (no striping) and two IDE drives for the system and mirror backup.

If I can work two layers in toaster while using a single SCSI, then that would be great. I can see there may be times when faking a rack focus in toaster may be easier than doing it in Lightwave or Aura.

BTW, BOXX answered my email at about the same time you responded. I didn't mean to imply that they were unresponsive, just that I wanted other opinions. (And I was getting impatient.)

Thanks,

TW

Blaine Holm
03-25-2003, 02:23 PM
Video Hardware Services, LLC has been combining SCSI and IDE RAID's since the 3ware card was first available 2 years ago.

We have solutions for Dual XEONS that give 4 streams of video using 4 Western Digital IDE drives.

Check out our website @http://www.videohardware.com and configure a system that meets the specs you are looking for.