PDA

View Full Version : OT: Help with WinME '_restore'

colkai
04-16-2004, 05:50 AM
Hi folks,
Dunno if anyone here can help.
Our friends have a PC running WinME (Run W2K meself), and they have a '_restore' folder full of files CAB & CPY and such.

Now, I've figured out these are related to the system restore util in ME, so far so good.
However, it appears as if Windows is not just backing up files, but removing them from the disk as it backes them up. Sort of 'ahh - not used this file - I'll delete it' type thing. :(

Problem with this is, a lot of the files its deleting are photographs they use for signs etc. Of course they haven't been changed, but they are still required.

I've done an 'f3' search and found certain archives have reference to the removed directories/files. So I'm presuming they are in the backup, which appears to by a CPY file, not the actual CAB file.

So, question 1 - how do I stop this from happening, i.e. stop the damn thing from deleting on backup, heck, even stop it doing backup points every day.

2) How do I extract ONLY certain files from a system restore point and not revert the actual windows system to a previous state. Ideally like using some sort of Winrar type program. Indeed, is this even possible?

If the info is out there, an appropriate link would be fine. I've tried doing a google search and a search at annoyances.org but so far all I've found is how to delete them, which I don't want to do until I've got the files back safe and sound. (I hope)

jamesl
04-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by colkai

So, question 1 - how do I stop this from happening, i.e. stop the damn thing from deleting on backup, heck, even stop it doing backup points every day.

Upgrade to winXP Home ASAP. 'Me' has caused many problems for my brother's machine, which I end up troubleshooting. I got fed up and insisted that he upgrade, or I wouldn't help him any longer. Made my life simple.

Hope you can crack those archives...

j

T-Light
04-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Hello Colkai,

Just did a search myself, again with no results. Sounds daft, but have you contacted microsoft? Needed them a few months ago when I ran into problems setting up wi-fi, chatted to a 'tech' online for several hours, they were great.

Here's a link for ME, just follow it through. :)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;EN-GB;top&product=winme&prname=Windows%20Millennium%20Edition

Aegis
04-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Deleted - double post (doh!)

Aegis
04-17-2004, 10:13 AM
'been a while since I've used "Me" but if I recall, "System Restore" can be disabled using msconfig from the command line - note that this will delete any backup points on your hard disk!

I leave it enabled for WinXP - seems a lot more reliable than Me's version.

colkai
04-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Unfortunately,
It's not my PC so it's not up to me to upgrade it. They have a lot of stuff on there and have already lost some things by others "tidying" it up.

It's just so frustrating, it seems as if there should be some way of exploring / extracting files from these archives / CPY files but I really don't want to resort to doing a restore to that point as it would muck up things that have been installed since.
All they need is to get access to the photographs so they can use them. I'm just damn glad I have most of the newer images backed up to CD, but some of the older ones have been "secured" - Good ole MicroSoft! ;)

Every search I've done has failed to mention if this faciality is available, and MS don't support OEM WinME as it came with the PC, they say the onus is on the supplier, but it's a few years old and the supplier ain't interested - they don't "do" support. :(
<sigh...>

cresshead
04-17-2004, 03:20 PM
sounds really annoying...i use WINme on my laptop [sony viao] and hav't noticed this...maybe because i keep my work files doubled up on a cdr as i have 5 somputers and may need files on one of them from the laptop....i'm usually clearing space for the hard drive on the sony...

maybe get your friend to backup regularly to a zip file on the hard drive...if you get them in the habit of over writing the zip every week win me may not feel it has to delete old piks etc as win me will see that this is a used file [the zip] so it should keep it.

that's my workaround anyway!

jamesl
04-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by colkai
Unfortunately,
It's not my PC so it's not up to me to upgrade it. They have a lot of stuff on there and have already lost some things by others "tidying" it up.
<sigh...>

I understand, but, as in my brother's situation, if they don't heed your advice and upgrade, then they really can't expect you to help solve their problems (and there will be others).

j

colkai
04-18-2004, 02:49 AM
Whilst I agree that an upgrade would stop it from happening, the problem is, an upgrade wouldn't fix the problem of accessing previously "saved" files.

This really is where my problem lies. Once I've got the files, I'd more than likely diable the system restore as I know they have never used it. That would prevent future 'help' from ME and also free up some disk space.

As soon as I find a way to restore the old files, I will be killing that particluar "helpful" facility! ;)

cresshead
04-18-2004, 03:37 AM
colkai, for now a very workable solution is the winzip file with all the pics inside...just rename it every week..as you know you can access the contents of a winzip and use them in your app...plus it would free space up on your system...

you always should look for 2 ways to solve problems....

one the direct method..ie n theis case fix me when it kills files you do not "use"..or ammend or modify....

or make them look as though they ARE being used amended and modified...the simplist way would be a winzip folder as it's only one file that you need to change on a regular basis so it's simple to manage..

or...store thos files on a cdrom and use them only from the cdrom...as windows can't erase data from a cdrom!

:D :D :D

stee+cats

nerdyguy227
04-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Copy the files then back them up.

colkai
04-19-2004, 02:32 AM
See, like I say - my problem is the files are tucked away in those damn CPY archivbes so I need to get them out of there before I can do anything.

Yes, I will disable System Restore once it's set up. Yes, I will back up the files once it's all done. But until such time as I can (if indeed I *can*) extract the files, I don't want to do anything.

T-Light
04-19-2004, 01:02 PM
Have you tried cabbit.exe?

No idea if this would be of any use to you or not, can't test it as I'm not running ME anymore. Good Luck.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=264996

claymation
04-19-2004, 01:29 PM
watchout with upgrading. ME doesn't just disappear. If you upgrade and leave the previous ME install there then it will be fine. If you try remove ME it will take over your XP install and cause all kinds of grief. I suggest a clean install of XP.

I think it has something with teh auto restore with ME that cause it to get into prolem. if you install to a new partition you can avoid ME contaminating XP.

colkai
04-19-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by T-Light
Have you tried cabbit.exe?

That looks promising, though I can't determine from the articel if it is a filelist or the actual "files". Even so - will certainly be investigating that on my next visit.

Will let you know the outcome.

nerdyguy227
04-19-2004, 07:48 PM
I was reading the Windows XP Inside Out book and it has a section on backing up files and restoring them.

It says you need Windows XP PRO to retrive files (won't work on home edition). To retrive files (in only 1.5 steps WOW!!!):

-1.) put all stuff you made inbetween on to another hard drive or cd or something

0.) Go to the properties window of the drive you backed the files up on and click on the "tools" tab.

1.) On the backup section (bottem) click on "backup now..." so a wizard comes up.

1.5.) Click on the advanced mode and use the middle option to restor your stuff.

Absolutly no Idea if this will work on Windows ME so just get XP if it won't.