PDA

View Full Version : Subpatching and Rendering

zippitt2
04-15-2004, 11:01 AM
I have rendered a few times, always using geometrics with hard angles.

Now I am using subpatching and I have completed my first simple model with smooth surfaces. It's just the way I wanted it in modeler, however when I ship it over to lightwave I can see all the real geometric angles created from the subpatch. I turned on smoothing on the surface properties which helps a little, adjusting the angles doesn't help on the smoothng.

It's still no where near as smooth as it is in modeler. I am using realistic for the render mode. What am I missing to make my model render as smooth as it is in modeler? You basically can see all the edges of the model instead of the smooth curves that are in modeler. Not talking about the aliasing.

Sorry I am at work so I have no screen shots :(

jamesl
04-15-2004, 04:01 PM
with the object selected in Layout, click 'item properties' and make sure your display subdivision level is higher than 1.

j

Axis3d
04-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Also, when in Modeler, make sure you save the model after you have hit the 'Tab' button on the keyboard. The model must be saved tabbed or else it will never appear smooth in Layout.

zippitt2
04-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Good stuff, so much thanks guys. I got it working, thanks!

emoboy83
04-19-2004, 06:17 PM
i generally use an sub patch render of 4-5 if that helps. 2 or 3 and youl probably have problems. I suggest if u like what you see in modler then use the same sub patch level in layout.

erroLux
06-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi guys,

Say emoboy83, I am a newbie and currently checking out these settings to see the modeled result in layout.

You (and also the manual of Lightwave [8]) say that the same subpatch level in layout as in modeler should do the trick.

But over here, I have to increase the Subpatch Level by 10 :confused: in order to have a similar looking smoothed effect?

In modeler I have value 3 in 'General Options/Patch Divisions' and in order to have the same smoothness in layout, I have to set the 'Object Properties/Subpatch Level' to 30 :eek: !

Any ideas about that?

Thank you and kind regards.

murdoch
06-24-2004, 05:50 PM
ensure smoothing is turned on in your surface properties

erroLux
06-25-2004, 02:06 AM
Thanks murdoch, that's it. :D