PDA

View Full Version : posing polychains w/null + MD?

bluehand
04-15-2004, 06:06 AM
is there a way to control or pose polychains, possibly using a null + MD?
Or is there a better way?
I need to be able to reposition the hair on this model, based on what the illlustrator wants. Right now, it's just being roughed in, so the picture is weak (sorry for the double-post w/the pict - I used it earlier to help with a problem)
I'd like to be able to have a null that I could move around, and the hair would follow, the "root" of the hair would remain in place.
Any suggestions?

*It's for a still shot, not an animation, if that helps.

thanks

http://www.bluehandgraphics.com/hairTrans.jpg

Dodgy
04-15-2004, 06:36 AM
Use a chain of bones and a weight map which fades to the root of your hair... That would be easiest :)

bluehand
04-15-2004, 12:12 PM
thanks, that does work.
But, since these are just 2 point polys, I can't see the weight map - so I just do a Linear weight map and hope for the best. Any thoughts on how to make a weight map that I could see better?

Dodgy
04-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Use the extrude tool to extrude your two point polys out perpendicular to the plane of your hair, so the new extruded points are well away from your old points. If you've already weighted your 2-point polys, you should see shaded quads (if you'e in weight shade mode of course). If you're happy with them, just delete the new points and the polys will go back to 2 point polys again...