PDA

View Full Version : Layers in layout

tudor
04-15-2004, 01:08 AM
That would be nice.

I'm looking for 2 types of layers:

render layers, and view layers.

View layers.. Well, that is just like in modeler. You chose which layer(s) to show and which not. Sometimes with really heavy scenes it is a pain to animate, but it is too troublesome to hide/unhide the normal way, or even with the favourites menu.

Render Layers. same here. Which layers do you want to render.. Makes it easier to separate characters from background, rendering volumetrics last etc.

Quite neat ey!
If you can't see the advantage, you just haven't worked with big enough scenes yet..

And while I am at it.. Please. Can we get GI shading to export to a separate layer just as with a normal shadow layer!!

mkiii
04-15-2004, 03:49 AM
Layers in Layout are objects. 2 layers, 2 objects, so you already have access to those layers.

You can chose what objects you want to render *or* display in a number of ways, individually of in multiple selected groups within the spreadsheet. You can sort selected groups of objects in different ways, you can enumerate the item names, you can add a prefix or a sufix (L1, L2, L3 etc), & you can make the objects coloured, allowing you to select colour sets.

However - a normal layer flag as found in most other 3d apps would not hurt.

At the moment, it looks like you need Maya.

tudor
04-15-2004, 04:13 AM
It works now, but it not good.
Proper layers are almost a must at times for the sake of speed. When you have close to 1,000 objects in the scene and you want 15 or so layers it gets quite messy. Especially if you have bones and objects mixed together.
I want to be able to quickly hide all but what I animate at the moment to gain speed, and then quickly show the background again, to check how it works against the background.

What you talk about are basically workaround for layers, and not a working solution for me. I already use these things and find them lacking.

In scene editor you have favourites, but it takes forever to select objects, just to hide them. At the moment you cannot select bones and objects at the same time.

In spreadsheet it goes fast to hide/unhide, but you don't have that easy access to favourites.
If layers could be added to the spreadsheet it would be wonderful. Apart from this, spreadsheet is absolutely amazing.

And yes, I do use Maya at work, and I have seen that the layers there are very good, but my program of choice for over 8 years now is LW, and there is where I want this functionality.

Dodgy
04-15-2004, 06:41 AM
http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/DisplayLayersMC.zip

You need this :)

Set up your objects in layers and then hide/show etc them in the scene :)

tudor
04-15-2004, 07:02 AM
Ahhh.. That is just beautiful!
Thank you very much Dodgy! :)